They've dug thier own grave

I cant see this has being a good thing to just release new higher priced
systems and higher priced games that are for the most part, the same titles.
We'll get Halo for Xbox, GTA,Metal Gear for PS3, and of course Zelda,Metriod
and Mario for Revolution. WOW! Not. The cost of games will have to go up
with the costs to make them and the meat of the games sold are the same
titles over and over. I have all 3 of the old systems but I wont be buying
the new ones until the prices come down and I can get games used. Between my
pc games and my moded ps2/Xbox that will be more than enough to hold me over
till this worthless hype over the new systems goes down.

At some point you would think people would get tiered of paying top dollar
to play the same games all the time just on different systems. But I guess
standing in line for hours to spend $400-$500 and staying up all night
playing the "new" Halo,etc.. then bragging about it at school/work the next
day is priceless. I guess the wait in line will be made less stressfull with
your psp/gba going with the same titles as well.

"crystalskull" <radgamer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<DqKdnRzqtcIhkBbfRVn-qA@comcast.com>...
> I cant see this has being a good thing to just release new higher priced
> systems and higher priced games that are for the most part, the same titles.
> We'll get Halo for Xbox, GTA,Metal Gear for PS3, and of course Zelda,Metriod
> and Mario for Revolution. WOW! Not. The cost of games will have to go up
> with the costs to make them and the meat of the games sold are the same
> titles over and over. I have all 3 of the old systems but I wont be buying
> the new ones until the prices come down and I can get games used. Between my
> pc games and my moded ps2/Xbox that will be more than enough to hold me over
> till this worthless hype over the new systems goes down.

I agree, but I don't necessarily scoff at the people who can't wait
for the next generation. Personally, I never buy new consoles upon
release because -

1. the systems are over-priced
2. first-generation titles tend to be sub-par
3. It's the perfect time to finally play the games of the previous
generation you couldn't find the time for

> The cost of games will have to go up with the costs
> to make them and the meat of the games sold are the
> same titles over and over.

Nintendo seems to be an exception to this. They're taking the attitude
that they should keep the system less powerful to keep deveopment costs
down (since they probably can't compete with MS's and Sony's hardware
anyway). They're hoping to get more low-profile developers.

This may end up being a very poor choice, but it's also pretty bold.
Unless the "revolution" really ends up being a VR headset (which smells
like BS), then I'd guess the system will be cheap too. If it comes in
at $200, it's pretty easy to take a risk on it. I can always justify
the $200 based on a few good first party titles. You know there'll be
a Zelda, and you know it'll be good.

So suicidal, maybe. Interesting, definitely. If I had to pick one
system from the next-gen, it would certainly be PS3, but I don't have
to, and the Revolution will probably be a nice companion to it.

And if the new Sony and MS machines really end up costing $400, then
it'll just drive that many more sales for the big N.

Viva la Revolution.

syvyn11

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

<a_noether_theorem@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The cost of games will have to go up with the costs
>> to make them and the meat of the games sold are the
>> same titles over and over.
>
> Nintendo seems to be an exception to this. They're taking the attitude
> that they should keep the system less powerful to keep deveopment costs
> down (since they probably can't compete with MS's and Sony's hardware
> anyway). They're hoping to get more low-profile developers.

Not to mention that the entire nes,snes,n64 libaries will be avaliable to
download.

> This may end up being a very poor choice, but it's also pretty bold.
> Unless the "revolution" really ends up being a VR headset (which smells
> like BS), then I'd guess the system will be cheap too. If it comes in
> at $200, it's pretty easy to take a risk on it. I can always justify
> the $200 based on a few good first party titles. You know there'll be
> a Zelda, and you know it'll be good.
>
> So suicidal, maybe. Interesting, definitely. If I had to pick one
> system from the next-gen, it would certainly be PS3, but I don't have
> to, and the Revolution will probably be a nice companion to it.
>
> And if the new Sony and MS machines really end up costing $400, then
> it'll just drive that many more sales for the big N.
>
> Viva la Revolution.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:42:05 -0700, "crystalskull"
<radgamer@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I cant see this has being a good thing to just release new higher priced
>systems and higher priced games that are for the most part, the same titles.
>We'll get Halo for Xbox, GTA,Metal Gear for PS3, and of course Zelda,Metriod
>and Mario for Revolution. WOW! Not. The cost of games will have to go up
>with the costs to make them and the meat of the games sold are the same
>titles over and over. I have all 3 of the old systems but I wont be buying
>the new ones until the prices come down and I can get games used. Between my
>pc games and my moded ps2/Xbox that will be more than enough to hold me over
>till this worthless hype over the new systems goes down.
>
>At some point you would think people would get tiered of paying top dollar
>to play the same games all the time just on different systems. But I guess
>standing in line for hours to spend $400-$500 and staying up all night
>playing the "new" Halo,etc.. then bragging about it at school/work the next
>day is priceless. I guess the wait in line will be made less stressfull with
>your psp/gba going with the same titles as well.

I don't see so many sequels as necessarily a bad thing. The key is
will developers try to innovate to keep their titles fresh or will
they do like Idios did and run a franchise like Tomb Raider into the
ground. I don't have a problem with a sequel every few years but
some companies are pushing their luck with almost yearly updates.

I'm also not convinced that game prices will go up. You may see a few
companies try to push the retail price up to $59 or more but
ultimately the market will dictate if they're successful. I for one
will not pay over the accepted price of $49.99 for a normal release.
As it stands now, it's not uncommon for some games to be discounted
just a month or so after release or even sooner. If people are
unhappy with higher game prices, all they need to do is delay their
purchase until the game is discounted back to normal.

"Imperium" <frankmelo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 02:42:05 -0700, "crystalskull"
> <radgamer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I cant see this has being a good thing to just release new higher priced
>>systems and higher priced games that are for the most part, the same
>>titles.
>>We'll get Halo for Xbox, GTA,Metal Gear for PS3, and of course
>>Zelda,Metriod
>>and Mario for Revolution. WOW! Not. The cost of games will have to go up
>>with the costs to make them and the meat of the games sold are the same
>>titles over and over. I have all 3 of the old systems but I wont be buying
>>the new ones until the prices come down and I can get games used. Between
>>my
>>pc games and my moded ps2/Xbox that will be more than enough to hold me
>>over
>>till this worthless hype over the new systems goes down.

Someone must learn the meaning of "flagship titles" and "company mascots".

Jonah Falcon