XP defragmnter not working after removing Diskeeper

One of my users has a machine that had W2k Pro with Diskeeper 5 installed.
The machine was upgraded to XP and then diskeeper was uninstalled.
When Right-clcking a disk, selecting Tools, the Defragment option is ghosted
out. The XP defrag files seem to be installed (defrag.exe, defrag.chm) and
thery are in the correct place. Trying to start defrag from the command-line
generates an error something like 'Failed to start defragmentatin engine'(I
don't
have the text in front of me). Icannot find a way to get the defragger to
load using the MMC. Re-installing the OS would be very difficult at this
time. Thanks for any help.
3 answers Last reply
More about defragmnter working removing diskeeper

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:44:02 -0800, "Eric"
    <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >One of my users has a machine that had W2k Pro with Diskeeper 5 installed.
    >The machine was upgraded to XP and then diskeeper was uninstalled.
    >When Right-clcking a disk, selecting Tools, the Defragment option is ghosted
    >out. The XP defrag files seem to be installed (defrag.exe, defrag.chm) and
    >thery are in the correct place. Trying to start defrag from the command-line
    >generates an error something like 'Failed to start defragmentatin engine'(I
    >don't
    >have the text in front of me). Icannot find a way to get the defragger to
    >load using the MMC. Re-installing the OS would be very difficult at this
    >time. Thanks for any help.

    You could install a trial version of a current Diskeeper, then uninstall
    it and perhaps it would repair the problem.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    It sounds as though some files became corrupt when Diskeeper was removed.

    Try the following:

    The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
    restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

    Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
    is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
    CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
    not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
    minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

    If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

    Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
    unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
    files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
    forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
    data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
    should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
    wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > One of my users has a machine that had W2k Pro with Diskeeper 5 installed.
    > The machine was upgraded to XP and then diskeeper was uninstalled.
    > When Right-clcking a disk, selecting Tools, the Defragment option is
    > ghosted
    > out. The XP defrag files seem to be installed (defrag.exe, defrag.chm) and
    > thery are in the correct place. Trying to start defrag from the
    > command-line
    > generates an error something like 'Failed to start defragmentatin
    > engine'(I
    > don't
    > have the text in front of me). Icannot find a way to get the defragger to
    > load using the MMC. Re-installing the OS would be very difficult at this
    > time. Thanks for any help.

    Defrag.exe is the command line defragger controller and defrag.msc is the pretty one. The defragging itself is handled by one of two programs dfrgntfs or dfrgfat which is started by defrag.exe or msc.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82F159A8-9F4B-4FC8-9E38-5634E4CFB9A8@microsoft.com...
    > One of my users has a machine that had W2k Pro with Diskeeper 5 installed.
    > The machine was upgraded to XP and then diskeeper was uninstalled.
    > When Right-clcking a disk, selecting Tools, the Defragment option is ghosted
    > out. The XP defrag files seem to be installed (defrag.exe, defrag.chm) and
    > thery are in the correct place. Trying to start defrag from the command-line
    > generates an error something like 'Failed to start defragmentatin engine'(I
    > don't
    > have the text in front of me). Icannot find a way to get the defragger to
    > load using the MMC. Re-installing the OS would be very difficult at this
    > time. Thanks for any help.

Configuration Defragment Customization Windows XP