Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No boot on new system, what to RMA?

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2012 4:40:12 AM

Hey guys,

Just put together a ne i7 build with a i7 2600k, gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 board, 8 gb mv-3v4g3d/us ddr3, coolmaster 212 + coller, corsair TX750 PSU, 120 sandisk ssd, 1 tb seagatee HHD, Geforece 430, and NXXT case.

Built the system over the past few day and on intial power up (nothing connected peripheral wise, just power) it seemed a little wonky (seemdd like it powered on and off a ouple times on it's own, hard to explain, just seemed weird). Hooked up to my monitor and it booted to bios. detected everyting (ssd, hdd, memory) but wouldnt dected my dvd drive. reseted cmos and there was my drive. rebotted and bios as if i wanted ahci on ssd, i selected yes, rebooted, and started windows 7 Ultimate 64 install. system got to noraml OS isntal reboot, bios asked again whether i wanted ahci again and i said yes, and got no bootmgr prompt. shutdown again, reset cmos again, and now system will not power, just a 1/4 of fan movement, no lights, nothing but the fan shudder.

I tore down system and breadboarded it and have just power, board, cpu, and cpu fan connected. still same symptoms. (tried with and without memory also)

What do you thinnk i should RMA first? I assume it's the board, but do you think I should do the PSU as well?

More about : boot system rma

a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2012 10:17:25 AM

I would breadboard the system again with just one stick of ram; if you haven't been using one, find an esd strap. I've seen blown circuitry firsthand due to careless handling. Dell made me use one at all times when handling the cpu/board/ram. If you get your system to post again, use just one hardrive and dvd drive until you get windows installed. Then install the other devices and windows should detect them. Pull the board battery and double check the position of the cmos jumper. Gigabyte can be a pain about rma's; don't have any advice for that.
m
l
April 20, 2012 10:25:40 AM

your issue is with achi ... check the forums theres some funky stuff that happens if you try to install windows 7 with achi .. you should be able to change it in drive manager but you also need to enable trim .. its not an automatic thing.. any ways best of luck to you..
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2012 11:45:36 AM

My first guess is the memory. Now, you don't have to use the Qualified Vendors List because they can not include every possible memory stick/brand that will work, they do give a comprehensive list of compatible memory that IS GUARANTEED TO WORK. And while it's also not always the best performing memory for your board, you do get that guarantee.

If not that then I would try something with the power supply. Yes, Gigabyte can definitely be a pain for RMA's, so try something easier first. If you have an old one laying around or can borrow a friends just use the minimal parts required and try a boot from there. If you could get into bios every time then I might also think it had something to do with the achi drivers but I don't believe it loads any of those settings until the bios hands off to windows for boot.

If all else fails there's always the link under my CPU-Z banner that will walk you through the process just incase it's something simple, and lots of times it is.
m
l
April 20, 2012 4:39:53 PM

thanks for the sugestions guys.

As I mentioned, after i had the inital issues i breadboxed it with just the board, psu, cpu, and cpu fan and it wont even power up (just a slight fan movement, like 1/16'th of a rotation) no lights on the board or anything. so, that would elimintate the HDD, GPU, and memory from the equation since they are not connected. With just the board, psu, cpu, cpu fan connected it should at least post with hte calssic memory error beeps, right? I triple checked the cables and conenctions so, it has to be the boad, psu, or cpu (which i reseated), correct?

I RMA'd the PSU with mazon, so that should get here in a jiff. And I don't think i'll have too many issues with the CPU of the giga board as I can jsut rma them with microcenter (where i bought them). I don't have anything to test the partss with so unfortunately i will have to do trial and error rma's, which kinda sucks cuase i took advantage of microcenters in store offer on the i7 2600k for $199 and bundled the board in, so I'll have to make the two hour trip back since they dont do mail in rma's on store purchaes. oooohhh well,
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2012 4:56:02 PM

No. not correct. A bad stick of ram will also prevent some boards from posting. Try each stick one at a time in the slot closest to the cpu if you haven't already. Chances are one of them is still good. Persistence oftens pays off. Unless you've smoked something (burn marks, smoking power supply, etc) chances are you can get the board going again. Pull the battery for several hours and request an rma from gigabyte online. It generally takes 24 hours for them to issue an rma number. If you don't use it, it will expire in about 30 days or less; no harm done.
m
l
April 20, 2012 5:21:49 PM

o1die said:
No. not correct. A bad stick of ram will also prevent some boards from posting. Try each stick one at a time in the slot closest to the cpu if you haven't already. Chances are one of them is still good. Persistence oftens pays off. Unless you've smoked something (burn marks, smoking power supply, etc) chances are you can get the board going again. Pull the battery for several hours and request an rma from gigabyte online. It generally takes 24 hours for them to issue an rma number. If you don't use it, it will expire in about 30 days or less; no harm done.

I understand that bad memory can prevent a board from posting. But a board should post with just the bare minimum's (board, psu, cpu, and cpu fan) hooked up, correct? If the board wont post (or even power on) with the memory not installed , what good would trying the sticks in different configurations (ie: different slots, 1 stick, etc ...) do? I was always taught, when you have issues with a build, start from the bare minimum and work up from there, and I get to board, psu, cpu, and cpu fan and fail, so it would have to one of those components correct?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2012 5:26:11 PM

My gigabyte board didn't. I had the ram in the wrong slots and it did exactly what you described. Once I had the ram in the right slot it worked just fine. My Asus P5K-E also did what you described, but that board was dead....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2012 8:26:19 PM

Same thing here. Even without the memory it won't post because with NOTHING in the slots it doesn't attempt to boot. With a bad stick you will probably get the beep - that is, if you put a motherboard speaker on it. lol Memory first is still my call.

Even so, did you put a jumper wire in the PSU and see it if powered on for more than a few seconds? Don't forget to put at least one fan on it so it has something to power up. While this test doesn't in any way test the psu for anything other than to see if it will run and supply some power to a component.
m
l
April 22, 2012 2:40:26 AM

suteck said:
Same thing here. Even without the memory it won't post because with NOTHING in the slots it doesn't attempt to boot. With a bad stick you will probably get the beep - that is, if you put a motherboard speaker on it. lol Memory first is still my call.

Even so, did you put a jumper wire in the PSU and see it if powered on for more than a few seconds? Don't forget to put at least one fan on it so it has something to power up. While this test doesn't in any way test the psu for anything other than to see if it will run and supply some power to a component.

Ok, I finally got around to jumper testing the PSU and it fires up and runs a fan so that's (most likley) no the culprit.

I have Sundays and Mondays off so I'm going to re-breadbox the system and go from there. If I can't get results I'll have to head to microcetner with the intention of having them test the memory for me, if they can't I'll have to rma the board, cpu and memory (all purchased therre so that's nice).

Thanks again for the help guys and I'll post results when resolved.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 3:47:24 AM

Don't forget to have them test a different memory in the system. The memory might by good but not compatible. And good luck
m
l
April 23, 2012 1:17:35 AM

well, I exchanged out the motherboard, cpu, and meory. same meory and cpu, different board. they were out of stock in the gigabyte board), so i went with a asrock z68 extreme gen4.

got home and breadboxed it (psu, cpu fan, cpu, memory, bboard), it powered up. rebuilit inside of the case and same issues as before. no power, just a 1/2 fan turn. reset cmos, half fan turn, unplugged ssd drive, full power up into bios. restarted a couple times and powered fine. booted int windows install just to see if could get there and in did. powered off system and rma'd the ssd drive (assuming its was that) with amazon.

sat for an hour frustrated that I have to wait for ssd to come in since that'll be my boot drive. Got antsy and just to reassure my nuerotic self I tried booting the system again ( minus the ssd, wich booted fine multiple times an hooour earlier) and nothing, same 1/w turn on the cpu fan and that's it.

rebreadboxed the system and same 1/2 turn on cpu fan and nothing else.

this is getting amazing frustrating. I'm not sure what to do that this point. I'm back to thinking it's thhe psu (passed the jumper test, but maybe it just can't handle load). othe then that it might be case or heatsink fan. I hope if it's the psu it didnt fry the mobo, cpu, or antign else, other wise I'm not sure if i'll ever get to the bottom of this.

ps, sorry for the horrible typing, using an ipad to type all this! ;) 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 2:07:27 AM

I don't think it's the case since you breadboarded it and it still wouldn't work. That leaves the psu. Did you actually rma it like you mentioned? If not, pick one up in a local store you know is good with returns. If it works, keep it. If not you can return it and nothing lost but time. If you get one you don't like but it works you can probably still return it and then get a good one that you like.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 3:47:10 AM

Double check your case. It sounds like its fine until you move it in. You might have a standoff in the wrong place and you are frying the board when you move it in. Not sure why it worked after unplugging the SSD but I'd check it out.
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:33:39 AM

4745454b said:
Double check your case. It sounds like its fine until you move it in. You might have a standoff in the wrong place and you are frying the board when you move it in. Not sure why it worked after unplugging the SSD but I'd check it out.

Ya, I triple check my standoffs, especially moving from two different board manufactures.
m
l
April 23, 2012 4:40:52 AM

suteck said:
I don't think it's the case since you breadboarded it and it still wouldn't work. That leaves the psu. Did you actually rma it like you mentioned? If not, pick one up in a local store you know is good with returns. If it works, keep it. If not you can return it and nothing lost but time. If you get one you don't like but it works you can probably still return it and then get a good one that you like.

Yes, I rma'd the psu and I'll have it tomorrow. I'm sooo hoping it's the psu since I'm at wits and hardware and with this build. I'm not a expert in building machines, but not a slouch either with over a dozen under my belt. I take my time with building and take pride in doing it right and am OCD with cable management.

That's why I find this particular build to be a bit frustrating. Never hand this much ongoing issues. But I'll tell ya, I'll be happy when she's done and over, I'll have a nice new rig and some "lessons learned" too boot.

Thanks all for the help along the way, especially suteck, I appreciate the effort very much.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2012 3:49:53 PM

No problem, that's why we all come here to play. Let us know how it works out!
m
l
April 23, 2012 8:15:25 PM

Bad Power Supply. Skipped the breadbox and hooked her up in case and worked from first power on (well, technically second, forgot the CPU power so my heart skipped a beat but saw i forgot to connect that straight away! Ha)

Windows 7 ultimate froze on install a couple times which worried me just a bit, but I just had to pull my video card to fix that.

Thanks for the help again guys. Looking forward to messing with this build. It's going to be a predominately 3d gaming rig, so it should be fun. Just have to wait a few weeks (may 10th I'm hearing) for the GTX 670 to drop till I can really see what she's got!
m
l
April 23, 2012 8:17:22 PM

Best answer selected by futurecode.
m
l
!