Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bottleneck if I buy 560ti for my q6600?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2012 7:05:47 AM

My 5770 is lagging so much for skyrim and battlefield 3, it's driving me nuts.
I need an upgrade, but I don't know if I would be able to avoid cpu bottlenecking
since my q6600 is relatively old. Can anyone please give me an answer for this?

On my last question on this forum, I found out these two games do use quite a
bit of CPU resources, so I'm not sure what I'm heading into here.

Oh, and would it be a good idea to add more rams? I currently have 4Gs
a c 162 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:45:26 AM

Since you mentioned Skyrim I believe your CPU is the problem. I have a first Gen I3 and an HD6770. No lag whatsoever at max settings(no mods on tweaks).

The problemm is that per clock the q6600 is slow in modern terms. You could give it some epic cooling and clock it to 3GHz. That showed a big improvement on my old rig.
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:48:34 AM

You need to overclock!
Score
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:52:35 AM

Skyrim is cpu limited and doesnt utillise much more than 2 cores. I have a q6600 and it runs great, although you will need to overclock it to at least 3.4ghz to get a good experience (you dont need epic cooling, just a $20 coolermaster hyper TX3). 5770 is more than capable of playing those games with decent settings. Upgrade your CPU to a core i3/i5 for a good gaming CPU.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 8:02:22 AM

burger1113 said:
My 5770 is lagging so much for skyrim and battlefield 3, it's driving me nuts.
I need an upgrade, but I don't know if I would be able to avoid cpu bottlenecking
since my q6600 is relatively old. Can anyone please give me an answer for this?

On my last question on this forum, I found out these two games do use quite a
bit of CPU resources, so I'm not sure what I'm heading into here.

Oh, and would it be a good idea to add more rams? I currently have 4Gs

5770 to a 560Ti can add potentially 50%-90% graphics performance in games at typical resolutions.

Since you made no mention of clock speeds, I can assume your Q6600 is stock speed (2.4Ghz)? If so, your processor would definitely limit the gain from upgrading to a 560Ti. I encourage you to consider an overclock for your processor before a video card upgrade. You'd need an aftermarket cooler (as little as $25 will do it). For about a year now I've been running a Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz, a 50% overclock, that is about the limit for this processor on air cooling. If this isn't something you're super comfortable with, don't write it off too fast. Since you're not forking over the money for an entire brand new rig, I can see that you are financially conscious, so with a little money and research, even if you've never OC'd before, you can really get a lot more out of your processor.

You don't need more system RAM for games.
February 12, 2012 8:46:56 AM

Best answer selected by burger1113.
Score
February 12, 2012 8:50:29 AM

Wow, now that's a good solution for me, it seems... I suppose I should take my rig to a
nearby shop to get help with the overclocking/cooler exchanging operation, and get it
dusted off while I'm at it, too.
I didn't know aircooling could get q6600s up that high on the clock! It gets pretty blazing
hot here in the summer, so I may need to be a lil conservative on it, but I will definitely
try this out. Thank you!
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 3:23:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!