Thermal paste on the endge of LGA 2011 socket.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Hello,

Recently i ve made soem changes to cooling on my 3930k and i ve noticed that there is thermal paste on 1 of the edges of the socket. It seems its only on the plastic "pins" on the edge of the socket aswell as on part of 1 - 2 contact pins. I am using Arctic Cooling mx-4 paste. Now , should i clean thise completely ? Or maybe leave it be ? It Rampage IV Extreme board and i read that mx4 is a non conductive TIM and yes , i know its really lame...

SteelLAD

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
By contact pins I take it you mean some TIM is covering the pins on which the pads on the underside of the CPU contact the socket? If so I would probably clean off the paste, however this may be difficult depending on how much paste there is on the contacts and how delicate the pins are. If you do you may as well get yourself some decent TIM while you're at it.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
AS far as i ve looked at this the paste covers only some plastic "pins" on the edges of the socket and the bottom part of 1 or 2 contacts pins not the part that touches CPU. I am wondering if this is worth cleaning and takeing a risk however its not really high risk as the paste is only on the edge of the socket.