Win7: Sharing files/folders to the web.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm wondering if there are any setting or freeware programs that can let you access a folder on your computer from another location though the web. Have been looking at NAS external HDD's that talk about having that kind of feature but I wanted to know if I could just share a folder instead. Of course I would want password protection for it.

Solution
Personally I would strongly recommend against using Windows sharing to make a folder available on the Internet. You are opening yourself up to a host of nasties. SMB shares really aren't that secure. Unless you really know what you are doing with firewalls it's a potential mistake to let the outside world directly access your computer.

What about using one of the many free file sharing services available on the Net, e.g. Windows Live Sky Drive?
Personally I would strongly recommend against using Windows sharing to make a folder available on the Internet. You are opening yourself up to a host of nasties. SMB shares really aren't that secure. Unless you really know what you are doing with firewalls it's a potential mistake to let the outside world directly access your computer.

What about using one of the many free file sharing services available on the Net, e.g. Windows Live Sky Drive?

Solution