Sign in with
Your question

Stock speeds: i5 - 2500k Sandy / 3570k Ivy?

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2012 2:15:46 PM

Building a new computer, not planning to overclock and going with the stock cooler for the cpu.

Trying to decide between the i5 2500k / 2550k (what is the difference?) or go for the newer 3570k which is ivy bridge but I hear runs hot.

Will the 3570k run hot with a stock cooler if I don't overclock? Ideally I want idle temps of 35-40 and load temps of ~60 as I like to keep my CPU cool. If I have to to keep that cool I will stick with a sandy bridge, just not sure the 2500 or 2550

Thanks! :bounce: 
August 2, 2012 2:22:13 PM

drop the K class if not overclocking.

get an aftermarket cooler if you want cool operation. dont rely on stock. period
August 2, 2012 2:48:20 PM

hilltopmonk said:
drop the K class if not overclocking.

get an aftermarket cooler if you want cool operation. dont rely on stock. period

Get a K class CPU, it's not much more and it gives you an option to overclock easily if you want to go that route later on. And , stock is fine. It works well within the normal parameters of the CPU. If you're looking to save money, you won't go above like 61C, I promise. Even less on the 3570K if you don't overclock. If you really want to keep it quiet, then get Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for $19. However it's just fine to rely on stock if you aren't overclocking.

As for the difference between the i5 2500K, 2550K, and 3570K, the 2500K is based on the older Sandy Bridge architecture which is slighty hotter at stock speeds, uses slightly more power, and is slightly slower per clock. The 2550K is the same as the 2500K except it's clocked 100MHz higher and doesn't have integrated graphics. The 3570K is based on the newer Ivy Bridge architecture which is slightly cooler at stock speeds, uses less power and faster per clock (5% - 15% faster per MHz). However the Sandy Bridge chips are better overclockers.

If you aren't planning on doing much overclocking, but want to leave the option open for later on, get a i5 3570K and Hyper 212+. If you really don't want to overclock just get the 3570K and buy a better cooler later on.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:27:50 PM

stant1rm said:
Get a K class CPU, it's not much more and it gives you an option to overclock easily if you want to go that route later on. And , stock is fine. It works well within the normal parameters of the CPU.

On a new build I'd say it would be silly to get a K series chip and not install a decent cooler. If he decides to overclock later he'll have to install the cooler anyway which might be a pain if his case doesn't have a cutout. And a $19 cooler keeps a stock-clocked chip cooler and quieter than the boxed thing. For a new build - do it right and install a decent cpu cooler even if you don't buy a k-series chip. Cooler = longer potential lifespan for cpu. And btw - my 3770k when tested with the stock cooler at stock clocks was a lot hotter than 61c.
a c 190 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2012 3:48:14 PM

The Intel® Core™ i5-3570K is faster then the Intel Core i5-2500K at stock speeds. As far as the stock cooler you are fine with it as long as you have a well ventilated case and don't overclock. You can put cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + and get some better cooling and maybe have it run quieter.
August 2, 2012 5:13:47 PM

stant1rm said:
Get a K class CPU, it's not much more and it gives you an option to overclock easily if you want to go that route later on. And , stock is fine. It works well within the normal parameters of the CPU. If you're looking to save money, you won't go above like 61C, I promise. Even less on the 3570K if you don't overclock. If you really want to keep it quiet, then get Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for $19. However it's just fine to rely on stock if you aren't overclocking.

As for the difference between the i5 2500K, 2550K, and 3570K, the 2500K is based on the older Sandy Bridge architecture which is slighty hotter at stock speeds, uses slightly more power, and is slightly slower per clock. The 2550K is the same as the 2500K except it's clocked 100MHz higher and doesn't have integrated graphics. The 3570K is based on the newer Ivy Bridge architecture which is slightly cooler at stock speeds, uses less power and faster per clock (5% - 15% faster per MHz). However the Sandy Bridge chips are better overclockers.

If you aren't planning on doing much overclocking, but want to leave the option open for later on, get a i5 3570K and Hyper 212+. If you really don't want to overclock just get the 3570K and buy a better cooler later on.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, looks like I'll get a 3570k and stock cooler since I don't plan to overclock :)  Thank you!
August 2, 2012 5:28:28 PM

You're very welcome :) 
August 3, 2012 2:30:38 PM

Quote:
nice work... :) 

Why thank you :sol: 
!