Stop hiding unused menus in classic menu XP - can it be do..

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,

I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation of a
program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and it
annoying.

Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from happening?
As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur in
the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Yes there is a registry entry. But why wouldn't you click an option box?

Hiding only occurs in classic mode.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:62jmd.37903$K7.20735@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi all,
>
> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation of a
> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and it
> annoying.
>
> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from happening?
> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur in
> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message

>Yes there is a registry entry.

What is it?

>But why wouldn't you click an option box?

Which one?

>Hiding only occurs in classic mode.

Any info on how to prevent this?

Dave

http://www.uscricket.com
"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation of
> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and
> it
> annoying.
>
> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
> happening?
> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur
> in
> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Another hint...

Right click your Start button | Properties | Start Menu tab |
Customize button | Click on the [?] at the top |
Move the the ? and left click on ? Use Personalized Menus |

You'll then see this >>>>

[[Specifies whether to turn on Personalized Menus.

Personalized Menus keeps the Programs menu clean by hiding items you haven't
used recently, while still keeping other programs easily accessible. You
can gain access to hidden programs by clicking the down arrow at the bottom
of the Programs menu.]]

[?] is a wonderful tool! ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:MNkmd.38056$K7.2166@news-server.bigpond.net.au,
Dave <dave2972@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>
>> Yes there is a registry entry.
>
> What is it?
>
>> But why wouldn't you click an option box?
>
> Which one?
>
>> Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
>
> Any info on how to prevent this?
>
> Dave

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent
>> installation of a
>> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days
>> and it
>> annoying.
>>
>> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
>> happening?
>> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to
>> occur in
>> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave

| "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote
| > Hi all,
| > I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation of
| > a program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days| >
| > Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
| > happening?
| > As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur
| > in the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?

| >"David Candy" <.> wrote
| >Yes there is a registry entry.
|
| What is it?
|
| >But why wouldn't you click an option box?
| Which one?
|
| >Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
| Any info on how to prevent this?

Dave,

Right-click [Start]
(*) Classic Start Menu
Customize
[_] Use Personalized Menus

Type
Hiding menus
in Help. I gave you enough hints.
http://www.uscricket.com
"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MNkmd.38056$K7.2166@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

>>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>
>>Yes there is a registry entry.
>
> What is it?
>
>>But why wouldn't you click an option box?
>
> Which one?
>
>>Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
>
> Any info on how to prevent this?
>
> Dave

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation of
>> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and
>> it
>> annoying.
>>
>> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
>> happening?
>> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur
>> in
>> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>| "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote
> | > Hi all,
> | > I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent
> installation of
> | > a program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few
> days| >
> | > Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
> | > happening?
> | > As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to
> occur
> | > in the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>
> | >"David Candy" <.> wrote
> | >Yes there is a registry entry.
> |
> | What is it?
> |
> | >But why wouldn't you click an option box?
> | Which one?
> |
> | >Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
> | Any info on how to prevent this?
>
> Dave,
>
> Right-click [Start]
> (*) Classic Start Menu
> Customize
> [_] Use Personalized Menus

Thank you very much, that worked.

Dave.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

My help menu does not work so hints are useless. If it did work I would
have looked there first.

Thanks, anyway.

Dave

>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>Type
>Hiding menus
>in Help. I gave you enough hints.
http://www.uscricket.com
"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>
>>Yes there is a registry entry.
>
> What is it?
>
>>But why wouldn't you click an option box?
>
> Which one?
>
>>Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
>
> Any info on how to prevent this?
>
> Dave

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation
>> of
>> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and
>> it
>> annoying.
>>
>> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
>> happening?
>> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur
>> in
>> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dave

If you've run Toni Arts Easy Cleaner on your XP installation, and allowed it to delete what it found in the registry, then your Help and Support will not run. Easy Cleaner deletes the values of 2 necessary Registry keys. See my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP Utilities section. Follow the appropriate link for Fix Window XP Help. This small VB app will repair the damage done by Easy Cleaner. Note: other Registry cleaning programs cause the same problem.

If that doesn't solve it, visit www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and click the question mark icon beside Why doesn't help and support work?

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c8Emd.39080$K7.15035@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> My help menu does not work so hints are useless. If it did work I would
> have looked there first.
>
> Thanks, anyway.
>
> Dave
>

>>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>Type
>>Hiding menus
>>in Help. I gave you enough hints.
> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>
>>>Yes there is a registry entry.
>>
>> What is it?
>>
>>>But why wouldn't you click an option box?
>>
>> Which one?
>>
>>>Hiding only occurs in classic mode.
>>
>> Any info on how to prevent this?
>>
>> Dave

>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have WinXP SP2 and use classic menus but with the recent installation
>>> of
>>> program the menus now hide menu stuff I have not used for a few days and
>>> it
>>> annoying.
>>>
>>> Is there a registry entry that will restore and prevent this from
>>> happening?
>>> As I understand it, the hiding of unused menu items was supposed to occur
>>> in
>>> the new XP style menus, not in classic menus. Am I wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Dave

| "a nonymous" wrote
| > Right-click [Start]
| > (*) Classic Start Menu
| > Customize
| > [_] Use Personalized Menus

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote
| Thank you very much, that worked.
|
| Dave.

You are welcome.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
If you've run Toni Arts Easy Cleaner on your XP installation, and allowed it
to delete what it found in the registry, then your Help and Support will not
run. Easy Cleaner deletes the values of 2 necessary Registry keys. See my
web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP Utilities section.
Follow the appropriate link for Fix Window XP Help. This small VB app will
repair the damage done by Easy Cleaner. Note: other Registry cleaning
programs cause the same problem.

If that doesn't solve it, visit www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and
click the question mark icon beside Why doesn't help and support work?

Thanks Doug,

After two or three hours of googling and redefining search terms I did
manage to find those sites you mention above, amongst others before I read
your reply.

After lots of reading and trying various combinations I finally got "Help
and Support" to work. After that I got back into this group, read your
reply, and since I had EasyCleaner installed I decided to experiment. EC
1.7 was the problem, wiping out 4 registry keys.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

ToniArts has instructions for how to prevent Easy Cleaner from doing this in the future. If I recall correctly, you can add Help or Help* to the "skip" list. Also, I thought they had an update the prevented this, as well.

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:tsznd.42364$K7.21420@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you've run Toni Arts Easy Cleaner on your XP installation, and allowed it
> to delete what it found in the registry, then your Help and Support will not
> run. Easy Cleaner deletes the values of 2 necessary Registry keys. See my
> web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP Utilities section.
> Follow the appropriate link for Fix Window XP Help. This small VB app will
> repair the damage done by Easy Cleaner. Note: other Registry cleaning
> programs cause the same problem.
>
> If that doesn't solve it, visit www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm and
> click the question mark icon beside Why doesn't help and support work?

> Thanks Doug,
>
> After two or three hours of googling and redefining search terms I did
> manage to find those sites you mention above, amongst others before I read
> your reply.
>
> After lots of reading and trying various combinations I finally got "Help
> and Support" to work. After that I got back into this group, read your
> reply, and since I had EasyCleaner installed I decided to experiment. EC
> 1.7 was the problem, wiping out 4 registry keys.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have now installed version 2.0 and it does not have the problem. I did
not have the problem in the past as I recall, but a recent motherboard
upgrade which required a reformat and complete re-install and a rush to get
back up and running ASAP because of a LAN meet the next day, I put on a few
old program versions that caused problems, EC 1.7 being one of them.

I do have a notes disk that has lots of fixes for problems, such as these,
but I loaned it to a friend who forgot to return it before he went on
holidays. Somewhat frustrating, as you could imagine.

Thanks again,

Dave