Sign in with
Your question

I7 3930k Cooling

Last response: in CPUs
August 2, 2012 2:47:43 PM

So I have a i7 3930k that idles at about 40 to 50c it is stock I have not overclocked it at all. A few days ago I hit 100% load on the processor was at 75c. I know that the temps are most likely safe for this cpu becuse of how much power it uses, but is there a way to make these tempratures lower? Btw the current cooler I am using is a Noctua NH-D14 SE 2011 and it tends to spin at around 600-800 rpm.

More about : 3930k cooling

a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 2:57:23 PM

torchinq said:
So I have a i7 3930k that idles at about 40 to 50c it is stock I have not overclocked it at all. A few days ago I hit 100% load on the processor was at 75c. I know that the temps are most likely safe for this cpu becuse of how much power it uses, but is there a way to make these tempratures lower? Btw the current cooler I am using is a Noctua NH-D14 SE 2011 and it tends to spin at around 600-800 rpm.

First and foremost, the heatsink you are using with the fans it came with is capable of better cooling. Check in the BIOS to see if you have some fan control options to allow the fan to ramp up when the CPU gets hot. On ASUS boards, this option is called Q-fan. Using this option, you can set your Noctua fans to max speed when the CPU > 55 degrees or so.

Then, if that is not enough, you can always upgrade to higher flow fans. Noctua fans are optimized for quiet and low flow situations.

Try the 1st thing, that way you don't have to spend any money. If that brings down the temps a bit, and you are happy with it, then don't bother with buying fans.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 3:16:59 PM

torchinq said:

What is the temp when u are running Prime95 for 40min?
Related resources
August 2, 2012 3:37:45 PM

nikorr said:
What is the temp when u are running Prime95 for 40min?

I havent ran it yet because I have been worried about it damaging my cpu because of the temps. Should I not worry about that and just run it?
August 2, 2012 3:40:16 PM

homerhellboy223 said:
Before you consider the heatsink assembly I would consider your thermal paste application. Did you apply it correctly? Did you apply it at all? Was the surface cleaned (use rubbing alchohol or a chempad) and dried prior to application?

Check those and then I would go from there.

yes as far as i know it was applied correctly. I used the line method to apply it and the surfaces were cleaned before.
August 2, 2012 3:58:41 PM

nikorr said:
Use one of those apps.

And if temp is getting in the 80+ degrees, than just exit

the P95 by clicking to exit the app and the temps will fall.

Coretemp:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

HWMonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

i ran it for about 25 mins and it maxed out at about 77c on the hottest core and the rest were close behind but they were all above 70c
August 2, 2012 4:00:17 PM

Maxx_Power said:
First and foremost, the heatsink you are using with the fans it came with is capable of better cooling. Check in the BIOS to see if you have some fan control options to allow the fan to ramp up when the CPU gets hot. On ASUS boards, this option is called Q-fan. Using this option, you can set your Noctua fans to max speed when the CPU > 55 degrees or so.

Then, if that is not enough, you can always upgrade to higher flow fans. Noctua fans are optimized for quiet and low flow situations.

Try the 1st thing, that way you don't have to spend any money. If that brings down the temps a bit, and you are happy with it, then don't bother with buying fans.

Q-Fan doesnt really make a difference for the most part I changed from Turbo to standard to manual and turbo seems to be the best but not by alot
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 4:06:20 PM

Does the CPU fan go over 1200RPM's?
August 2, 2012 4:23:28 PM

nikorr said:
Does the CPU fan go over 1200RPM's?

i used coretemp so i couldnt check that i dont think should i run it again with HW64?
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 4:25:36 PM

BTW, whats your mobo?
August 2, 2012 4:38:02 PM

nikorr said:
BTW, whats your mobo?

its an ASUS Sabertooth X79
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 4:47:09 PM

Nice.

Do u have connected the CPU fan and CHA fan2?
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 4:49:03 PM

The RPM's, are they over 1200RPM?
August 2, 2012 6:21:31 PM

nikorr said:
Nice.

Do u have connected the CPU fan and CHA fan2?

Yes I used the cpu fan connector on the mobo and the cpu_opt connector on the mobo. should i connect to cha fan 2 instead of cpu_opt and i dont know where to see my rpms for the heatsink fans on HW Monitor
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:22:42 PM

Try that CHA fan2.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:26:43 PM

Do u see that under fans?

a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:28:01 PM

What are the max RPM of your fans ? Usually under Q-fan, you can specify a starting temperature and a threshold temperature at which your fans max out. You want to set this maxing out temperature as low as possible if your board supports this feature. Also, if you want an idea what your current heatsink+fans are capable of, disable Q-fan entirely (you can do this with ASUS Probe in windows, or directly in the BIOS menu). This will give you an idea what your current setup is capable of without upgrades of any type.
August 2, 2012 6:40:00 PM

Maxx_Power said:
What are the max RPM of your fans ? Usually under Q-fan, you can specify a starting temperature and a threshold temperature at which your fans max out. You want to set this maxing out temperature as low as possible if your board supports this feature. Also, if you want an idea what your current heatsink+fans are capable of, disable Q-fan entirely (you can do this with ASUS Probe in windows, or directly in the BIOS menu). This will give you an idea what your current setup is capable of without upgrades of any type.

if i disable q-fan will the temps be lower or higher? and im pretty sure the max for the fans is either 1200 or 2000rpm and i have only really ever seen them spinning at a max of under 900rpm
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:49:14 PM

Don't worry about, its misreading CPUTIN,

what is the CPU temp under the load when the RPM's are @ 850?
August 2, 2012 6:52:22 PM

nikorr said:
Don't worry about, its misreading CPUTIN,

what is the CPU temp under the load when the RPM's are @ 850?

its is about 68c to 70c
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:54:36 PM

try this, actually open up your case, and then put your hand on the heatsink pipes. Do they feel like they are really hot?

If they are not getting hot; then the heat is not getting into the heatsink.

If your bios allows, try just running fans at full voltage speed; just to get a point of data to understand if it will drop your temps.

I would suggest just redoing the Thermal grease anyway.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 6:57:25 PM

torchinq said:
if i disable q-fan will the temps be lower or higher? and im pretty sure the max for the fans is either 1200 or 2000rpm and i have only really ever seen them spinning at a max of under 900rpm

If you disable the Q-fan, the fan will max out its speed. Q-fan works by gradually ramping up fan speed with settings the user supplied. So, to figure out how low temperatures can get, disable Q-fan, and the fans should spin at max RPM.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 7:00:24 PM

Whats the temp in the room?
August 2, 2012 7:02:52 PM

nikorr said:
Whats the temp in the room?

its about 20-25c
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2012 7:05:58 PM

is the air in the case hot?

Maybe the heatsink is doing it's job, but there is no place for the heat to go, and you need more exhaust fans.
August 3, 2012 2:34:10 AM

raytseng said:
is the air in the case hot?

Maybe the heatsink is doing it's job, but there is no place for the heat to go, and you need more exhaust fans.

maybe i need more i have one pulling cold air in and two pushing it out is that enough
August 3, 2012 11:29:55 PM

raytseng said:
try this, actually open up your case, and then put your hand on the heatsink pipes. Do they feel like they are really hot?

If they are not getting hot; then the heat is not getting into the heatsink.

If your bios allows, try just running fans at full voltage speed; just to get a point of data to understand if it will drop your temps.

I would suggest just redoing the Thermal grease anyway.

i put my hands on the pipes after the computer was on and idleing and they were barely warm, barely more then ambient temps, but is this because of the thermal paste or could it be the processor, and if its the thermal paste what i am doing wrong because i did it the suggested way by putting a small line of paste and tightening the thermal paste down. how should i do the thermal paste
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 12:23:37 AM

at idle i'd suspect they should be barely warm. But what you should be concerned about is when it is load and the CPU says 75degrees, and the heatsink is still barely warm.

That being said, there's lots of different ways to do the thermal grease, and probably most of them will work. But proof is in the pudding.
If you are getting unhappy results with 1 method, maybe you should try a different one to see if it makes a difference.

Anyway,

The technique I use, is first use alcohol to clean everything up. Everything should be shiny at this point.

If you can, use lint free paper to do this work. Coffeefilter is cheap lintfree paper if you can just grab a couple of those.

On the cooler contact side, i use the buffing technique. So I put a small dab of grease on there, and just use lint free paper to rub it around and rub it off. You shouldn't see any grease but it should leave the cooler surface dulled and fill in any micro-sized grooves.

On the cpu side, I go with the small mini-pea sized blob in the middle. Squish it down evenly, and give a little twist and wiggle each direction way before locking it down. If you want to check your size of your blob; you can do a practice run, and just immediately undo it, to see if your squished blob covers all of the middle of the cpu and gets to all 4 sides (in this technique the corners are fine if they don't get touched).
If you do a practice run, i redo all the previous steps to cleanup first.

Other people go with the use finger in a plastic baggie and just spread a thin even layer on the CPU.

a c 101 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 12:44:16 AM

raytseng said:
But what you should be concerned about is when it is load and the CPU says 75degrees, and the heatsink is still barely warm.

If there was a major mounting/paste problems, OP would more likely be seeing 95C.

OP said he has one intake fan and two exhaust but didn't mention his exhausts' placement, it could simply be that the Noctua is simply circulating hot air around itself which would drastically reduce its effectiveness.
August 4, 2012 2:56:41 AM

InvalidError said:
If there was a major mounting/paste problems, OP would more likely be seeing 95C.

OP said he has one intake fan and two exhaust but didn't mention his exhausts' placement, it could simply be that the Noctua is simply circulating hot air around itself which would drastically reduce its effectiveness.

the fan placement is that there is one 120mm in the very back pulling out and one 200mm on the top pulling out and one 120mm in the front pulling in
!