I3 2100 + 6850 x2 = bottleneck?

bob1255

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
So while playing battlefield 3, my 2100 gets to around 79% max. So this means my GPU is bottlenecking my system? I currently have a single 6850, and am looking to soon upgrade to 2. So would upgrading to a 2500k be needed? I don't want to see any biased answers, illegitimate reasons that don't even exist or any of that nonsense. The reason I am not waiting till ivy bridge is mainly because the 3770k is only 9% better than a 2600k, and at that time the sandy bridge CPUs will obviously drop.

sunnk

Distinguished
for 1 hd 6850 i3 2100 is ok no bottlenecking will be there but if u put the second that may cause bottlenecking and fps in games will be very bad so no need to buy an i5 stay with i3 when the ivy bridge will come out then buy both cpu and gpu that will be better to go with new tech cpu.:)

Wait until Ivy Bridge comes out for at least there might be some savings or better CPUs out there to buy. All you really need is a true quad core so that will make it an i5. You can make do now with what you got and a second 6850 but it won't scale as well and there will be clear situations at times where there is a cpu bottleneck.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
prices will not drop they never drop. look at current first gen i7's. their prices havent dropped.

if you waited for ivy bridge you would have to upgrade your motherboard as well i suspect because correct me if i am wrong but only z68 and p67 board will support ivy bridge.

Also keep in mind that bf3 will us 4 cores in Multiplayer so your hurting in that game and any game that uses more then two cores.

There is usually a very short period of time when prices do drop but one has to get the jump or miss out. I know there won't be a shortage of people who will be dumping their SB builds for next to nothing as soon as Ivy Bridge comes out. As for retail prices will drop slightly but most won't see that happen at all. As for first gen well my little i5 760 is worth more now than when I bought it lol.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

By how much? Hopefully more than $5-$10.

What motherboard are you running?

i3 2100 + 6850x2 would be a really nice system for a while here. Maybe get an i5 but there isn't a hurry that I can see. Plus, the reason I aske about the mobo is that the K models are meant for OCing mostly, and only P67 and Z68 mobos support that.