I7 950 + hyper 212 Evo temps OK?

spiitfiire88

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Hi,

I need some advice/help on my i7 950 as it seems to be running hot even with the Hyper 212 Evo installed and it is NOT overclocked.

Before I had the aftermarket cooler my idle temps were 50 degrees C and when playing BF3 it would get upto about 78 Degrees C.

Now I have the cooler installed it idles at around 38-42 deeges C and again when playing BF3 it gets upto about 68 degrees C.

I know this is a good improvement on the tempretues since installing but I have been looking into the tempretures and apparently they should still be
alot lower than they are.

This is my system specs/case cooling

Intel i7 950 (stock settings 3.06ghz)
Hyper 212 Evo aftermarket cooler (1 fan)
Evga GTX 670 (FTW Edition)
6gb DDR3 Ram (not a fancy brand, going to get some corsiar soon)
600 watt PSU
1 TB Hard drive
22" 1920x1080p moniter

My case has x4 120mm (1 on front, 1 on back, 1 on bottom, 1 on side)
I also use a Evercool SB-F1 FOX-1 PCI slot system exhaust fan to get rid of excess heat

In terms of the thermal paste I have used artic silver and I used a small pea sized amount in the center of the CPU.

Can you guys tell me if this is normal temps and if you have any suggestions or if I am doing something wrong? as with my current temps I know its going to be difficult to start overclocking ect.

Many Thanks

SPiiTFiiRE88

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
If you're planning on OCing it I'd try re-seating the cooler with some new thermal paste. If you're not OCing though the temps are fine and won't harm the CPU in any way.

spiitfiire88

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012

Hi thanks for the info, how would you best suggest to apply the thermal paste? I last did it with a pea sized amount in the middle of the processor

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Thats the way I've been doing it myself. Some other people imagine the CPU in quarters and put a small dob in the center of each of those. Sadly the difference between too much and just right is a small amount. And be sure to put the heatsink straight down, not at an angle, or the paste doesn't spread evenly.