a95 vs fz5 vs z5

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 23, 2005 1:28:46 AM

I am looking to find a camera to replace my powershot a300. Wold like 5MP so
from what I have read I was leaning towards the a95.
But I see I can stretch my budget a bit to fit the Konica Minolta Z5 or the
Panasonic FZ5 and I do like the extra zoom and IS.
I know the rest of the differences, as the a95 is quite different than the
other two, but in the end it all comes down to image quality. I cannot
afford a DSLR, although I would need that quality. Now, I read and read and
then read some more about the noise of the two 'zlr's. But since noise
bothers some people more than others, I can only compare. So:
If the a300 I just sold has enough noise to prevent me for using it at
iso200 and iso400 (I shoot indoors, my little boy), how much more (or less,
or equal?) will the a95 have?
And then: is the Z5 for example more noisy than the a95 at iso320? Or the
fz5 at iso400?

That's it.
Thanks for your time, any help appreciated.
Kostas

More about : a95 fz5

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:35:45 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:28:46 GMT, "Belgos" <kostas@pandora.be> wrote:

>I am looking to find a camera to replace my powershot a300. Wold like 5MP so
>from what I have read I was leaning towards the a95.
>But I see I can stretch my budget a bit to fit the Konica Minolta Z5 or the
>Panasonic FZ5 and I do like the extra zoom and IS.
>I know the rest of the differences, as the a95 is quite different than the
>other two, but in the end it all comes down to image quality. I cannot
>afford a DSLR, although I would need that quality. Now, I read and read and
>then read some more about the noise of the two 'zlr's. But since noise
>bothers some people more than others, I can only compare. So:
>If the a300 I just sold has enough noise to prevent me for using it at
>iso200 and iso400 (I shoot indoors, my little boy), how much more (or less,
>or equal?) will the a95 have?
>And then: is the Z5 for example more noisy than the a95 at iso320? Or the
>fz5 at iso400?
>
>That's it.
>Thanks for your time, any help appreciated.
>Kostas

Why not check the review sites and see what they think?
For my money I'd rather go with the Minolta and get the
big zoom unless "pocketability" is important, in which
case I'd get the Canon A95. Don't know about "noise",
but isn't a problem with my A60 as long as I stick to
ISO 100. Slightly visible at 200, noticable at 400.

I'm seriously considering the Minolta Z10 except that it
appears to be about the size of a small film SLR like
my Nikon FG-20. My Canon A60 fits OK in a large pants
or coat pocket, and I have a Sony Cyber-Shot U which
is smaller than even the smallest of the old 110 cameras.

Jerome Bigge
Member, Muskegon Astronomical Society
Author of the "Warlady" & "Wartime" series.
Download at "http://members.tripod.com/~jbigge"
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 12:24:27 PM

Belgos wrote:
> I am looking to find a camera to replace my powershot a300. Wold like
> 5MP so from what I have read I was leaning towards the a95.
> But I see I can stretch my budget a bit to fit the Konica Minolta Z5
> or the Panasonic FZ5 and I do like the extra zoom and IS.

I've had a Panasonic FZ5 for a few months and been very pleased with it.
Good pictures, larger aperture lens, and the IS works beautifully. My
wife has the slightly larger FZ20. ISO 400 is noisy, and I would restrict
its use to shots where the noise/grain adds to the atmosphere.

Were I buying today, I would also look at the Canon S2 IS.

There is a newsgroup for ZLR-class cameras at:

rec.photo.digital.zlr

Cheers,
David
!