Your question
Closed

Search function cant find files

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2012 11:53:24 PM

I recently changed the default location of my Users: user name: documents, pictures, video and music folders to a storage hard disk.

I partitioned the storage disk:
F: Files and documents
I: iTunes
P: Programs and windows folders
W: Windows backup

I followed the instructions in this link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders...

I also did most of the SSD optimization guide processes here. http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...

Both endeavors seemed to work correctly except for one thing. I can no longer type a file name into the Start/search box and find the file.

I suspect this may be because I “Disabled drive indexing” in the Optimization guide. Is this correct?
Is there another tweak I can perform that would allow the search to function correctly without reactivating the “Drive Indexing” function of the optimization guide (if thats the cause)?

Thanks all

More about : search function find files

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 12:39:09 AM

gerry410 said:
I suspect this may be because I “Disabled drive indexing” in the Optimization guide. Is this correct?
Hello gerry410;
You suspect correctly.
Did you disable drive indexing for the SSD only? or for the other drives as well?
As far as I know only allowing drive indexing is going to get that capability back for you.

a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 1:03:13 AM

yup.... enable it for the other drives.

also you can use pathing to help...
Score
Related resources
January 17, 2012 1:11:32 AM

WR2 said:

Did you disable drive indexing for the SSD only?

Hi WR and thanks. Yes, I only did the optimizations suggested for the SSD and Windows 7.
I haven't changed anything on the storage drive (unless windows did it automatically). Should I?

So I guess you need to determine a balance between performance/longevity and functionality, before you initiate these tweaks.

I will re-enable it because it's useful. It can't be that harmful if its part of the OS.

Thanks again, any other thoughts feel free.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 1:17:22 AM

I think you enable indexing for all your drives.
Once the initial indexing is done there isnt that much extra disk IO on the SSD.

I'd rather have the indexing and it's enhances search options too.
Score
January 19, 2012 12:24:40 AM

OK, so here’s what I did.

Services.msc

Enabled drive indexing
Returned Windows search to auto
Returned SuperFetch to auto

The search now works fine. However, I noticed that all other “standard users” not administrators can see the entire Administrator’ data folders. I guess because the storage disk is shared.
Score
January 25, 2012 12:15:54 AM

Please note that you can't hurt an SSD. It has been proven they last way past their useful life.
Score
February 1, 2012 2:10:07 AM

pcunite said:
Please note that you can't hurt an SSD. It has been proven they last way past their useful life.

This one replaced another that bricked on me after 7 months Einstein!
Score
February 1, 2012 2:13:08 AM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 1, 2012 4:55:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!