Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 Running Hot

Last response: in Components
August 2, 2012 5:52:15 PM

I recently upgraded from a C2D E7400 to a C2Q 6600
I did not buy a new heatsink just some new thermal paste.
I idle at 50 and top out at 75 (the hottest Core)
Is this hot? If so what can i do to change it
Thanks
Chuck

More about : q6600 running hot

August 3, 2012 12:34:50 AM

It is rather hot, are you using the E7400's stock heatsink with the Q6600? It might not be adequate.

If your using a nice heatsink or just think that heatsink should be fine you can try reapplying thermalpaste as you may have put too much or not enough.

The Q6600 has twice the wattage, I would really get it some better cooling before regularly pushing it hard.
August 3, 2012 1:05:50 AM

+1^
The quad core requires a more efficient cooler than the dual core. If you are using the stock cooler that came with the C2D, that is probably your problem.

And always clean both surfaces of the old TIM before applying new.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 4, 2012 5:51:49 PM

Thanks Guys,
But my CPU cooler isnt a fan, Its a fan coming through the front of the desktop, then that pushes air into a metal grill that i where a normal heatsink would go.
Thanks
Chuck
August 4, 2012 7:42:02 PM

Chuck Nachos said:
Thanks Guys,
But my CPU cooler isnt a fan, Its a fan coming through the front of the desktop, then that pushes air into a metal grill that i where a normal heatsink would go.
Thanks
Chuck

I would love to see a pic of that, if you could... :o 
August 5, 2012 3:04:29 PM

Oh. Ok. It is some type of passive heatsync. Is this a pre-built computer, possibly an older Dell? I can't tell much from the closeup, but it reminds me of an P4 Dell I had years ago. I presume the fan blowing on it you refer to is the front case fan. I think that is your problem with heat; inefficient cooler. And, from the dirt on the plastic cover(?) shown, I'd say it could do with a cleaning too. Get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust.

Look for an aftermarket cooler with fan and heat sync to replace that passive unit. Quite a few are available on ebay; some new. Here are some designed to fit the LGA 775 socket you have. http://www.ebay.com/sch/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks-/131486/i.ht...
August 5, 2012 3:24:15 PM

Thanks your exactly right
Ill clean it now
!