Advice needed customising my new PC

titian

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi guys,

My Dell Desktop has recently died and I need to buy a new PC.

Instead of going for another Dell or something like an HP, I was thinking of going for a less well-known brand such as Chillblast that offers better specs for the same money. Does anyone have any experience or opinion about this company? They get good reviews online from PC Advisor and PC Pro but apart from this there isn't much info so I'm not sure how reliable just two sources can be.

I'm self-employed and work as a trader. I therefore need a PC that's robust, reliable and (I assume) fast. My previous Dell PC was very noisy so ideally I'd like a quieter one this time around. I'm not a gamer so I don't need anything for gaming purposes. I will attach 2 monitors, and maybe more in the future.

I was thinking of maybe purchasing the Chillblast Fusion Neptune which costs £500 (inc VAT). Its basic specification is below. However, there is an opportunity to customise and upgrade this machine. I'm not technical and I'd be really grateful if some people could look at the options available and tell me if they thinks its worth me upgrading certain features, given what I need the pc for.

The customisable options are given here:

http://www.chillblast.com/pconf.php?productid=18103

The upgrade prices are given without VAT. Is it worth me for instance overclocking my processor to 4.2 hz for £30? Are there any risks to overclocking, would I need more fans?

Thanks for any advice, you'll be saving me hours and hours of research!

Basic Specification:

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor 3.3 GHz
Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3 Motherboard
Intel GMA HD Graphics
EZCool A200BCIT Shadow basic case
8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory
24x DVD-RW/CD-RW Optical Drive (Black)
1000GB SATA 7200rpm Hard Disk
500watt EZCool PSU
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Included Peripherals:

21.5" AOC Widescreen TFT Monitor
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse

Ports on rear of system: *

4 x USB 2.0 ports
2 x USB 3.0 ports
1 x PS/2 for keyboard
Audio outputs
1 x 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet for network
1 x VGA
1 x DVI

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
You can already overclock beyond 4.2Ghz with the 2500K so I see no need for the upgrade, unless your 2500K is the upgrade? And yes, overclocking does have its risks and WILL void your warranty should you damage it. If you do decide on overclocking past 4.0Ghz, I would suggest buying an aftermarket cooler as the heatsink provided is only good enough for factory clocks.

Edit: Although it says "(No Overclocking)" you can actually still overclock it manually. Don't know why they'd make you pay so much so they can set the clocks for you..

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
For most trading operations as a day-trader, I don't think you need OC, unless you are competing against major hedge funds' ultra-fast trading programs. Even with OC, I don't think normally you can beat them anyway.

titian

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm not a day-trader, I trade options and about 10% of the time have algorithms running which take up a certain amount of the computer's resources of which I'm really not sure how much. I'd like to be as quick as possible but I'm not in high frequency trading and I'm not trying to beat hedge funds.

Chillblast offer a 2 year warranty. If they offer overclocking as a part of the package surely they should mention somewhere that this voids the 2 year warranty that they offer. I actually emailed a person from their sales team and asked if the warranty is voided but he didn't answer this question.

If someone could take a quick look at the different options available and tell me what's best I'd very grateful to you! Thanks.