Build Challenge I

I'd like to offer a "build challenge." Many of us have read (and picked over) the SBM selections over the years, which feature money budgets, most recently in the $650-$1250-$2600 ranges. I'd like to offer instead a different sort of challenge. I'd love it if the Tom's editors picked this up and ran off with it, but regardless... Here's the challenge:

Power for the system will be provided by a 400W continuous sine-wave inverter. That means there is a hard power budget of 400W at the wall. The load to be powered includes the monitor and any other peripherals, possibly including a small desk lamp (there's your wiggle room, lol), so all of those need to be specified in the build. The money budget is $1000 but a little flexible since it needs to include those other items. Internet access to be provided by an Aircard or other wireless device (assumed to be on-hand, so you don't need to include it in the budget, or power a modem/router).

Purposes include the usual gaming, browsing, email, Office, etc.

So, how would you build this system?

i5-3550 - $194 - 77W
8GB G.Skill Ares 1333Mhz - $41.99 - <10W
ASRock H77M - $83.99 - <20W
HIS HD 7850 2GB - $239.99 - 130W
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB - $79.99 - <15W
Fractal Design Core 1000 - $39.99 - <5W (The fan)
Antec EA-380D 380W - $39.99
Acer V213HLBJbd Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor - $123 - Supposedly ~20W, lets say <50W

Total - ~$840 - ~260W under load/~300W including monitor

Take the efficiency of the PSU into account and you're looking at 300-350W from the wall under load.

Impressive. It is great how much less power a good GPU needs compared to just a few years ago. My initial thoughts on this hadn't gone beyond a HD6850.
...although I'm not seeing that CPU listed yet, so I would have anticipated an i3-2130 or an i5-"S" model.

Heh no, I'm not so arrogant as to think I'm the guy to go "checking up" on other members' skills, lol. It isn't a matter of boredom either; I am (and have been, for years) genuinely interested in the best that can be done on as little power as possible. And, this was almost a very real project, for a friend who until recently was a long-haul trucker and wanted to play games (and didn't want a[nother] laptop).