original n-gage--suitability as a phone?

Last response: in Brands
April 24, 2004 3:43:45 PM

Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
coming month as the QD is introduced.

Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
browser) speak highly of it.

I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
to the features above)?

Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
of games are of absolutely no interest to me.

Thanks!!!
April 26, 2004 2:45:13 AM

grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
player....so stick to the original ngage....

if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...

lets face it, everything else i had has become obsolete....i have an
answering machine in ma ngage, a dictaphone, an expense manager, a shopping
list, movie player, a dictionary, ebook reader and i wont mention the amount
of ebooks too...,a scientific calculator, a currency converter with 20
currencies, a web browser, agile messenger (msn, icq yahoo combined chat
client), bluetooth chat client, a planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i
could go on but thats my personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net
without incuring gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its
awesome as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
much....

before i used to think....wtf am i carrying around a phone 4....now i
think...thank god my phone got rid of all those other bits and pieces i had
to carry around...cd player, watch, dictaphone, pencil and pad etc etc....

like i said...do yourself a favour and get an ngage....if u dont mind simple
folk staring at ya while ur talkin...its all good (who cares about stares
from simple folk.....monkeys make more sense than them)

cheers ;)

"floydthebarber" <mc@110.net> wrote in message
> Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
> phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
> coming month as the QD is introduced.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
> games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
> browser) speak highly of it.
>
> I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
> failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
> Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
> to the features above)?
>
> Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
> of games are of absolutely no interest to me.
>

> Thanks!!!
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 6:57:09 PM

"floydthebarber" <mc@110.net> wrote in message
> Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
> phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
> coming month as the QD is introduced.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
> games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
> browser) speak highly of it.
>
> I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
> failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
> Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
> to the features above)?
>
> Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
> of games are of absolutely no interest to me.
>

> Thanks!!!

Only other alternative that comes to my mind if the 6600 .. only thing its
lacking on the n-gage, is stereo output and FM radio .. otherwise very
simliar phone .. if those are important tho, then the n-gage is your best
choice..

The 6600 just has the advantage of being in a normal phone factor, easier to
hold and use, than the n-gage ..
April 26, 2004 9:09:27 PM

In a blinding flash of insight a_dude <blax@blox.com> put forth fingers
to the keyboard and produced the following masterpiece of literature:
> grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
> player....so stick to the original ngage....
>
> if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...

<snipped>

> planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i could go on but thats my
> personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net without incuring
> gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its awesome
> as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
> coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
> much....

Hi mate - I can create a pairing to my N-gage using Bluetooth, and use an
mRouter pass-thru to my PC and it's existing web connection, for third party
apps on the N-Gage like Agile Messenger. But when I try and browse the net
etc, my N-gage seems to INSIST on only allowing a GPRS or CSD connection, on
the phone itself, to the browser.

So can you explain to me how you managed to get it to work, whereby you can
browse the net for free, I assume you mean, by piggy-backing a net
connection on your PC? Because like I said, for me, I find the N-Gage
browser will only work if I select a GRP or CSD connection stored in the
settings.

Cheers in advance,
--

Shadamehr

"Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
possit materiari?"
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 10:54:00 PM

> That's all great information. I'm looking forward to a replacement for
> my t39 (still and awesome phone, but of an earlier generation).
>
> Two more questions:
>
> 1. Can you suggest a source for some of those apps; they sound great.
>
> 2. I wonder what pricing on the original N-gage will be over the next
> month or so? Here in the US, the only place that stocks them are
> gaming shops. Right now, they sell for $199, including 3 games. Most
> internet vendors that I have found are more expensive than that.

www.psiloc.com

Pricing should drop significantly, with the new release "better" version,
they will have a clearance on old models.

I did sell mine in favour of a decent graphics card a while back, but should
the price hit $200AUD, such as the 5510 [basically the Ngage predecessor]
did, I'll grab one in no time at all, for just the MP3 player alone.

Beware cost effectiveness on the MMC cards, it may well be cheaper to get a
couple 128mb and swap between than one 256mb... Personal preference as much
as anything, I got around 20 MP3 on a 128mb card. About one CD's worth,
encoded between 128 and 256kbit.

-mark
April 29, 2004 9:07:57 PM

"Shadamehr" <news@NILSPAMshadamehr.com> wrote in message
> In a blinding flash of insight a_dude <blax@blox.com> put forth fingers
> to the keyboard and produced the following masterpiece of literature:
> > grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
> > player....so stick to the original ngage....
> >
> > if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...
> >
> <snipped>
>
> > planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i could go on but thats my
> > personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net without incuring
> > gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its awesome
> > as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
> > coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
> > much....
> >

> Hi mate - I can create a pairing to my N-gage using Bluetooth, and use an
> mRouter pass-thru to my PC and it's existing web connection, for third
party
> apps on the N-Gage like Agile Messenger. But when I try and browse the
net
> etc, my N-gage seems to INSIST on only allowing a GPRS or CSD connection,
on
> the phone itself, to the browser.
>
> So can you explain to me how you managed to get it to work, whereby you
can
> browse the net for free, I assume you mean, by piggy-backing a net
> connection on your PC? Because like I said, for me, I find the N-Gage
> browser will only work if I select a GRP or CSD connection stored in the
> settings.
>
> Cheers in advance,
> --
>
> Shadamehr

> "Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
> possit materiari?"

The Ngage browser doesnt work for net browsing thru bluetooth, try Netfront
Browser (I use) or Opera for Symbian

cheers ;)
!