original n-gage--suitability as a phone?

Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
coming month as the QD is introduced.

Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
browser) speak highly of it.

I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
to the features above)?

Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
of games are of absolutely no interest to me.

Thanks!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about original gage suitability phone

    grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
    player....so stick to the original ngage....

    if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...

    lets face it, everything else i had has become obsolete....i have an
    answering machine in ma ngage, a dictaphone, an expense manager, a shopping
    list, movie player, a dictionary, ebook reader and i wont mention the amount
    of ebooks too...,a scientific calculator, a currency converter with 20
    currencies, a web browser, agile messenger (msn, icq yahoo combined chat
    client), bluetooth chat client, a planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i
    could go on but thats my personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net
    without incuring gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its
    awesome as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
    coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
    much....

    before i used to think....wtf am i carrying around a phone 4....now i
    think...thank god my phone got rid of all those other bits and pieces i had
    to carry around...cd player, watch, dictaphone, pencil and pad etc etc....

    like i said...do yourself a favour and get an ngage....if u dont mind simple
    folk staring at ya while ur talkin...its all good (who cares about stares
    from simple folk.....monkeys make more sense than them)

    cheers ;)

    "floydthebarber" <mc@110.net> wrote in message
    > Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
    > phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
    > coming month as the QD is introduced.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
    > games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
    > browser) speak highly of it.
    >
    > I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
    > failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
    > Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
    > to the features above)?
    >
    > Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
    > of games are of absolutely no interest to me.
    >

    > Thanks!!!

    "floydthebarber" <mc@110.net> wrote in message
    > Hello. I am looking for an original n-gage to use exclusively as a
    > phone. Hopefully Nokia will be closing out the original model in the
    > coming month as the QD is introduced.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on my plan? I have no interest whatever in
    > games, but the mix of other features (mp3, FM, RealPlayer, MMC, java,
    > browser) speak highly of it.
    >
    > I know about sidetalking, the fact that n-gage has been a sales
    > failure, etc. If that's all there is against it, I'm not concerned.
    > Are there any other significant downsides (especially as they relate
    > to the features above)?
    >
    > Again, games have zero weight with me, so price/quality/scarcity, etc.
    > of games are of absolutely no interest to me.
    >

    > Thanks!!!

    Only other alternative that comes to my mind if the 6600 .. only thing its
    lacking on the n-gage, is stereo output and FM radio .. otherwise very
    simliar phone .. if those are important tho, then the n-gage is your best
    choice..

    The 6600 just has the advantage of being in a normal phone factor, easier to
    hold and use, than the n-gage ..

    In a blinding flash of insight a_dude <blax@blox.com> put forth fingers
    to the keyboard and produced the following masterpiece of literature:
    > grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
    > player....so stick to the original ngage....
    >
    > if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...

    <snipped>

    > planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i could go on but thats my
    > personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net without incuring
    > gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its awesome
    > as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
    > coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
    > much....

    Hi mate - I can create a pairing to my N-gage using Bluetooth, and use an
    mRouter pass-thru to my PC and it's existing web connection, for third party
    apps on the N-Gage like Agile Messenger. But when I try and browse the net
    etc, my N-gage seems to INSIST on only allowing a GPRS or CSD connection, on
    the phone itself, to the browser.

    So can you explain to me how you managed to get it to work, whereby you can
    browse the net for free, I assume you mean, by piggy-backing a net
    connection on your PC? Because like I said, for me, I find the N-Gage
    browser will only work if I select a GRP or CSD connection stored in the
    settings.

    Cheers in advance,
    --

    Shadamehr

    "Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
    possit materiari?"

    > That's all great information. I'm looking forward to a replacement for
    > my t39 (still and awesome phone, but of an earlier generation).
    >
    > Two more questions:
    >
    > 1. Can you suggest a source for some of those apps; they sound great.
    >
    > 2. I wonder what pricing on the original N-gage will be over the next
    > month or so? Here in the US, the only place that stocks them are
    > gaming shops. Right now, they sell for $199, including 3 games. Most
    > internet vendors that I have found are more expensive than that.

    www.psiloc.com

    Pricing should drop significantly, with the new release "better" version,
    they will have a clearance on old models.

    I did sell mine in favour of a decent graphics card a while back, but should
    the price hit $200AUD, such as the 5510 [basically the Ngage predecessor]
    did, I'll grab one in no time at all, for just the MP3 player alone.

    Beware cost effectiveness on the MMC cards, it may well be cheaper to get a
    couple 128mb and swap between than one 256mb... Personal preference as much
    as anything, I got around 20 MP3 on a 128mb card. About one CD's worth,
    encoded between 128 and 256kbit.

    -mark

    "Shadamehr" <news@NILSPAMshadamehr.com> wrote in message
    > In a blinding flash of insight a_dude <blax@blox.com> put forth fingers
    > to the keyboard and produced the following masterpiece of literature:
    > > grab one while you can mate....the QD has no stereo, radio or mp3
    > > player....so stick to the original ngage....
    > >
    > > if I lost mine today...id buy another same one tomorrow...
    > >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > > planetarium (no kiddin folks)..etc etc...i could go on but thats my
    > > personalised ngage...oh and u can access the net without incuring
    > > gprs charges too by using a bluetooth adapter....oh and its awesome
    > > as a phone to boot...reception is spot on and sometimes i get
    > > coverage where my mates dont and they have phones costing 3 times as
    > > much....
    > >

    > Hi mate - I can create a pairing to my N-gage using Bluetooth, and use an
    > mRouter pass-thru to my PC and it's existing web connection, for third
    party
    > apps on the N-Gage like Agile Messenger. But when I try and browse the
    net
    > etc, my N-gage seems to INSIST on only allowing a GPRS or CSD connection,
    on
    > the phone itself, to the browser.
    >
    > So can you explain to me how you managed to get it to work, whereby you
    can
    > browse the net for free, I assume you mean, by piggy-backing a net
    > connection on your PC? Because like I said, for me, I find the N-Gage
    > browser will only work if I select a GRP or CSD connection stored in the
    > settings.
    >
    > Cheers in advance,
    > --
    >
    > Shadamehr

    > "Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
    > possit materiari?"

    The Ngage browser doesnt work for net browsing thru bluetooth, try Netfront
    Browser (I use) or Opera for Symbian

    cheers ;)

Nokia Phones