hartmajr

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hello all.

I just had my house wallfished every which way with cat5e cable, and now have 7 ethernet jacks strewn throughout the house. Now I need to connect these jacks to the world, and here's where I'm getting a bit confused.

Right now I have a basic Linksys wireless g router running, with the usual rudimentary hardware firewall capabilities. Unfortunately it only has four wired port available. It would appear that the following possibilities for proceeding are as follows:

1. Keep the Linksys wireless in place, and add an unmanaged switch to one of the wired ports to get up to 7 wired ports. Pro - cheaper, all ethernet stays behind some kind of hardware firewall, and I keep my current wireless solution in place. Con - some kind of speed hit on the switched lines?

2. Connect a 8-port wired switch directly to the cable modem, and attach the wireless router at one of the endpoints. Pro - keep wireless solution in place, and potentially make use of a Gigabit switch. Con - no hardware firewall for the wired lines? Or does this really matter anymore with Windows built-in firewall, etc?

3. Buy a 8-port router / switch with wireless built-in. I can only really see two possibilities for home use here: DLINK DIR-632 and the Netgear FVG318. I'm not sure about DLink products in general, and the Netgear box gets terrible reviews online. So what to do?

Any ideas, assembled internet masses?

Keep the Linksys wireless in place, and add an unmanaged switch to one of the wired ports to get up to 7 wired ports. Pro - cheaper, all ethernet stays behind some kind of hardware firewall, and I keep my current wireless solution in place. Con - some kind of speed hit on the switched lines?

there will be no speed hit

SkiBumRuss

Reputable
May 15, 2015
I just solved this problem myself with a new Linksys WRT 8-port switch. I also bought a new Linksys router, a WRT1900AC, to replace my old one.
I tested bandwidth connected directly to the router, and again connected through the switch. There was no difference.