Help me build a computer for 2k USD

I want to build a gaming computer for the release of D3. I would also like the computer to be able to run Pro Tools, a music recording software. I'm really not sure what to get so all advice is helpful. I'm trying to keep the price about 2k. I was thinking i for sure wanted a SSD for the OS and then another HD for everything else. I would also like to be able to upgrade it later as i have more money (adding more ram maybe a second graphics card etc)I was thinking about possibly overclocking. I'm also partial to intel processors. So if anyone could make some builds i would really appreciate it! USA USD Ty!
13 answers Last reply
More about help build computer
  1. Does this build include monitor, peripherals (keyboard/mouse) and OS or not? Because if not the builds will look entirely different.
  2. i have a mouse, monitor, and keyboard, i do need windows 7 ultimate
  3. SaveTheRhinos said:
    i have a mouse, monitor, and keyboard, i do need windows 7 ultimate

You don't need Ultimate unless you're running the language packs - 7 Pro will handle everything you need and does away with the RAM limitations.

Try this build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
    CPU: 3.6GHz Intel Core i7-3820 - $309.99
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Socket LGA 2011 Edition - $89.99
    RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ares 1600MHz 1.5V Quad Channel - $89.99
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $159.99
    HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $129.99
    Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - $399.99

Total: $1,979.89

Yeah some people will argue that X79 is overkill for a gaming rig but if you're running a RAM hungry app like Pro Tools then X79 is perfect as you can run up to 64GB RAM, and the video card I included will allow you to handle multiple displays easily.
  4. Wow that looks awesome thank you very much! I appreciate it!
  5. SaveTheRhinos said:
    Wow that looks awesome thank you very much! I appreciate it!

No problem - for some weird reason Newegg deleted the 3820 which is why I linked to Tiger Direct otherwise I'd keep it all at the same store.
  6. g-unit1111 said:
    You don't need Ultimate unless you're running the language packs - 7 Pro will handle everything you need and does away with the RAM limitations.

Try this build:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
    Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
    CPU: 3.6GHz Intel Core i7-3820 - $309.99
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 Socket LGA 2011 Edition - $89.99
    RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ares 1600MHz 1.5V Quad Channel - $89.99
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $159.99
    HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $129.99
    Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 - $399.99

Total: $1,979.89

Yeah some people will argue that X79 is overkill for a gaming rig but if you're running a RAM hungry app like Pro Tools then X79 is perfect as you can run up to 64GB RAM, and the video card I included will allow you to handle multiple displays easily.

I actually have a build similar to what g-unit suggested, but with a couple differences that could save some money:

- CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ as your CPU cooler will save you $50 and be totally sufficient. I've (barely) overclocked my i7-3820 to 4.0Ghz and it runs cool with the 212+. You do need the LGA 2011 converter bracket, which newegg has for $5.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103432
    - The Sabertooth motherboard is sweet, but the ASRock X79 Extreme 6 is almost $100 less and has worked great for me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157289

With the money saved you could have more SSD or HD space, upgrade to the GTX 680, get enough ram for a ramdisk (which might be helpful for protools stuff, but I don't know), get a nicer case (like the Silverstone Fortress FT02 - but the Corsair suggestion from gunit is good also), or whatever you want.

EDIT: The Hyper 212 suggestion is assuming you don't plan extreme overclocking (it's not the best CPU if you're a hardcore OCer anyway, though).
  7. Thank you :-)
  8. Quote:
    With the money saved you could have more SSD or HD space, upgrade to the GTX 680, get enough ram for a ramdisk (which might be helpful for protools stuff, but I don't know), get a nicer case (like the Silverstone Fortress FT02 - but the Corsair suggestion from gunit is good also), or whatever you want.

Of those options I'd go for the 680. I can't imagine anyone using the full 2TB of the Ecogreen but you can always add or remove drives as your needs increase - the Carbide makes it really easy to do so.

Quote:

- The Sabertooth motherboard is sweet, but the ASRock X79 Extreme 6 is almost $100 less and has worked great for me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157289

Since the board I want won't fit my case (EVGA Z77 FTW) I'm leaning toward the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for my own system. I'd like to go X79 but then I'd need to buy all new RAM as well.
  9. g-unit1111 said:
    Quote:
    Of those options I'd go for the 680. I can't imagine anyone using the full 2TB of the Ecogreen but you can always add or remove drives as your needs increase - the Carbide makes it really easy to do so.

Since the board I want won't fit my case (EVGA Z77 FTW) I'm leaning toward the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for my own system. I'd like to go X79 but then I'd need to buy all new RAM as well.

Agreed. HDs are easy to add and 32 gigs of RAM is eccentric. 680 would be the most future-proof oriented option. But if he feels a 680 would be excessive, getting a second monitor is another option - more monitors = more fun. IMHO.

EVGA Z77 FTW is a beast, but ASRock has seriously been nailing the price/features/performance. Aka value. I'm a fan.
  10. g-unit1111 said:
    No problem - for some weird reason Newegg deleted the 3820 which is why I linked to Tiger Direct otherwise I'd keep it all at the same store.

You may want to consider an i7 2600K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

It is a pretty popular processor. You can OC to make it blazing fast. Please see this review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083

Asus Rampage IV extreme would be fantastic for OC. Another one is Asus Maximus V Gene, which has an added advantage of upgrading to future processors.
  11. SSri said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

It is a pretty popular processor. You can OC to make it blazing fast. Please see this review

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083

Asus Rampage IV extreme would be fantastic for OC. Another one is Asus Maximus V Gene, which has an added advantage of upgrading to future processors.

I know about the 2600K but it won't work for this particular build - a 3820 will run PCI Gen 3 out of the box where the 2600K won't. I'm not a big fan of mATX on desktop builds which is why I don't recommend Asus GENE boards unless the build is around an mATX case, but this one isn't/

Quote:
    Agreed. HDs are easy to add and 32 gigs of RAM is eccentric. 680 would be the most future-proof oriented option. But if he feels a 680 would be excessive, getting a second monitor is another option - more monitors = more fun. IMHO.

Can't argue with more monitors. The 680 is nice though I would have bought one but it's too rich for my blood. :lol:

Quote:
    EVGA Z77 FTW is a beast, but ASRock has seriously been nailing the price/features/performance. Aka value. I'm a fan.

Yeah I'd love to have the Z77 FTW but I don't want to buy a new case for it, I think my next board is going to be the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6. I'll probably be pulling the trigger on that in a month or two - however long it takes me to save up. :lol:
  12. SSri said:

This would be the more popular option. But my advice would be to wait for Ivy Bridge and get a Z77 board with the 3770K or get Sandy Bridge-E (the i7-3820). The 2600K is only worth buying right now if you find it for a ridiculous sale price.
  13. g-unit1111 said:
    I know about the 2600K but it won't work for this particular build - a 3820 will run PCI Gen 3 out of the box where the 2600K won't. I'm not a big fan of mATX on desktop builds which is why I don't recommend Asus GENE boards unless the build is around an mATX case, but this one isn't/

fair enough....It all boils down to one's taste and preference...
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Computer Systems Product