First Time Gaming PC Build!

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Quite solid to be frank. I see noting wrong except for your RAM and your case, why not DDR3 1600, it's only a little bit more money. Unless you have space concerns I would go with a larger case with better cable management. Say the HAF 922, or the Define R3, a personal favorite of mine.

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
The build looks quite good, offering you the potential to add a second graphics card for crossfire in the future. I agree with UncleJehmimah, why not grab the faster memory if you can? Other than that... I prefer nvidia over ATI and I like EVGA the best. I prefer Corsair TX PSU's but the OCZ one you have listed looks just as good if not better.

I dont know much about cases but I would take the comment above into consideration. Also if I had a little more cash to invest I would grab a modular PSU like the Corsair HX or AX series. It makes things easier and keep things neat, not to mention promotes better airflow in the case.

Only other comments I have to make: Ivy Bridge CPUs are around the corner as well as more nvidia 6xx series GPU's. Windows 8 is also expected in October.... Don't know if any of these things mean much to you.

Corsica96

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Windows 8 and the Ivy Bridge CPU releases...I will concern myself with those things when they arrive...right now I'm just ever so pumped to build this! I've had a friend who knows computers heavily help me build this...and I even questioned him on the memory as well. His response was "...yeah, I know everyone loves Corsair, but I've literally had to return every other set of Corsair RAM I've ever bought. I haven't run across a bad Mushkin stick yet (fingers crossed, as every brand has its bad chips, no exceptions), and the performance is the same, if you're not worrying too much about overclocking (see previous arguments against OCing). Plus, the Mushkin sticks don't have quite as high a heatsink, so you don't have to worry about interfering with your CPU cooler."

Also...will this potential rig run things such as the Witcher 2 and Skyrim on max settings? Those are two games I plan on playing a very good amount...and maybe even Crysis 3 later on in the year (but who knows I may even upgrade my GPU by then).

Corsica96

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Also I'm having a tough time choosing a case...the one in my build seems to be solid as well as ones offered by Cooler Master...basically I just want the best combination of soundproofing, airflow and cable management possible.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Are you looking to OC that CPU?

If you arn't, you can save yourself a few bucks downgrading the 2500k to the 2400 and just use the stock cooler.

For the case, check out the Antec nine hundred two V3 - it's got some brilliant reviews regarding cable management and cooling (can't find the review i saw now sorry, might be worth having a google around and seeing what you think then).

Could also try downgrading that PSU to a 500w corsair and adding the 7850 (about $67 more according to that site), more powerful GPU but less chance of CF at a later date.

All suggestions of course, your build is fine. Just wanted to show you the options.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I just built an HAF 922 system for a friend and it's very quiet. I haven't had it under load much yet because I don't have his storage drive to load up with games yet, but at idle, you could easily tune it out. I also liked the case a lot in general, it was very easy to manage cables and the tool-less bays worked very well, though the case is quite huge (a good and bad thing)

I've heard a lot of good things about Seasonic PSU's if y, I used one in this build, and it felt very high quality for the price (I got a 620W modular), however this is the only one I've used, and PSU's are hard to quantify based on an individual experience.

My guess is you'd be able to run skyrim on high with that setup. Maybe ultra, or ultra - a few features. If you wanted to max out your budget, a new-gen video (7870, 7950, or 680), card would hit you a homerun in performance and put you solidly in ultra territory, but it probably wouldn't be as much bang for your buck.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
The only complaint I have with the original Antec Three Hundred (not two) is lack of cable management. Now that the version Two provides such functionality, this is even better offering. Good airflow, quiet, minimalistic outlook, and decent size.

geogolem

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Corsair HX650 for single graphics card setups. Corsair HX850 for SLI/xFire.... TX series is OK too if you don't care about it being modular. You might be able to get away with a TX550 if you don't care about modularity and are really on a tight budget but the 650 is probably a better choice for single card setups.

Corsica96

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
I ended up buying an Intel i5 2500k, Antec Eleven Hundred case, Asus Radeon HD 7850, MSI Z77A GD-55, 8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4 GB), Corsair HX750 Power Supply, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Barricuda 1TB HDD, Cooler Master 212 EVO cooler, Windows 7 64 bit OEM.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011

That is arguably a golden standard build for most gamers at the moment. (At least for overclocker crowds)