Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I buy another 5770 to CF or upgrade my GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 12, 2012 5:19:00 PM

PURCHASE DATE: Probably in 3-5 months.

BUDGET: Up to 200 (willing to go over if it makes a HUGE difference)

USAGE: Gaming (Skyrim heavily modded)

Current GPU/PSU:
XFX HD Radeon 5770 1GB (Core Clock 850MHz & Memory Clock 1200 MHz)
Corsair 750

SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU - Intel i5 750 @ 2.67GHz running Win7 Home Premium 64
MoBo - Asus P7P55D PRO
RAM - Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 1600

PREFERRED WEBSITE: Newegg but anything will do, like if the same product is cheaper on another site

PART PREFERENCES: Doesn't matter. I want to get the most out of my money

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe...

SLI/CROSSFIRE: Explained in Comments section.

RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

COMMENTS: I'm mostly getting this upgrade so I can run Skyrim smoothly with many many mods. With no mods, it would run very smoothly but once I started modding it, the lag is noticeable and kills the emmersion. So basically, I need help deciding weather I should buy another XFX HD Radeon 5770 1GB to crossfire for about 100 bucks OR buy another card for about 200 and get more power than crossfiring it. (Or maybe even wait until a new line of cards come out which I have no idea about)

I hope this is enough information for you guys :] Thank you for your input.

More about : buy 5770 upgrade gpu

February 12, 2012 5:48:14 PM

Yes, upgrade to a 6850/6870.
m
0
l
February 12, 2012 6:11:45 PM

id have to agree with azeem unless uve got the 850$ it will take to get the 7990 thats comin out in march
m
0
l
Related resources
February 12, 2012 6:33:50 PM

yeah, get a 6870.

Or better still, get a gtx 560 ti, Its $210 at newegg, gives rock solid performance at 1080p.

And if u're wondering if ur mobo can support SLI, then don't bother coz ur CPU running @2.67 GHz will bottleneck two 560 tis in SLI.

m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 6:49:45 PM

you should be fine with crossfire.

crossfire 5770 is a lot more powerful than the 6870 and also cheaper.
m
0
l
February 12, 2012 7:02:15 PM

The new 7000 series is coming out on the 15th of february (source is websites Ive read) so wait and see and also Nvidia are launching their new range of GPU's in march too
m
0
l
February 12, 2012 7:25:47 PM

I would not recommend the crossfire setup as the 5000 series dint perform well in a crossfire setup like the 6000 series. I think you should go for nvidia GTX560 ti or the radeon Hd 6950 1 Gb card... But the radeon is hard to find these days.

another option is wait until Hd 7800 arrives, the prices would definitely fall after that....



m
0
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:33:26 PM

skyrim heavily modded should have been a clue NOT to run 1gig cards. cross-firing would not help with low end cards. if you opt for a 6800 series go for the 2gig model... ( 6870 ) Personally I would get a 2gig 6950 or greater.
the option for the 7800 series. this late in the game it might be worth finding out the cost of these cards. performance should be equal to and/or better than the 6900 series depending on the card. Also nvidia has new cards on the horizon.

"BUDGET: Up to 200 (willing to go over if it makes a HUGE difference)"
it will. you should budget for it.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:36:22 PM

swifty_morgan said:
skyrim heavily modded should have been a clue NOT to run 1gig cards. cross-firing would not help with low end cards. if you opt for a 6800 series go for the 2gig model... ( 6870 ) Personally I would get a 2gig 6950 or greater.
the option for the 7800 series. this late in the game it might be worth finding out the cost of these cards. performance should be equal to and/or better than the 6900 series depending on the card. Also nvidia has new cards on the horizon.

"BUDGET: Up to 200 (willing to go over if it makes a HUGE difference)"
it will. you should budget for it.

the mods can be easily ran with 1 gb of vram. I have the high texture mod as well as most of the increase quality mods and I have no problem with my 1gb of vram.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:53:14 PM


azeem40 said:
Yes, upgrade to a 6850/6870.

If I had to choose, I'd pick the 6870 out of those two. the 6870 packs a bigger punch for about 20-30 bucks more, seems worth it to me. But I'm still intrigued by everyone saying the GTX 560TI is a beast, but would it be worth the 60-70 bucks extra I have to drop to get it? Here's the benchmark difference
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=330



xtremegamer2da-max said:
id have to agree with azeem unless uve got the 850$ it will take to get the 7990 thats comin out in march

Lol, no I don't have 850 at all :] Some people were saying if I wait til the new GPUs come out the older ones will drop in price. So when are the new ones coming out?



gam0reily said:
yeah, get a 6870.
Or better still, get a gtx 560 ti, Its $210 at newegg, gives rock solid performance at 1080p.
And if u're wondering if ur mobo can support SLI, then don't bother coz ur CPU running @2.67 GHz will bottleneck two 560 tis in SLI.

Good to know thanks. Looks like I'll need just 1 GPU then. I checked newegg and the 210 is for a lower clocked GPU than some other ones going for 240, 250. Will slightly higher MHz clocked GPU make a big difference in performance?



esrever said:
you should be fine with crossfire.
crossfire 5770 is a lot more powerful than the 6870 and also cheaper.

Really? I tried looking for benchmarks to compare a crossfire 5770 to a 6870 or even a single 560ti with no luck. Do you have any benchmarks to back up your claim? (not that I don't believe you, just want to make sure)



sammyboy2 said:
The new 7000 series is coming out on the 15th of february (source is websites Ive read) so wait and see and also Nvidia are launching their new range of GPU's in march too

From what I've read the 7000 series isn't preforming that well for gaming purposes. And it looks like prices for the 6000 series haven't dropped. Should I give it more time?



shabbir010 said:
I would not recommend the crossfire setup as the 5000 series dint perform well in a crossfire setup like the 6000 series. I think you should go for nvidia GTX560 ti or the radeon Hd 6950 1 Gb card... But the radeon is hard to find these days.
another option is wait until Hd 7800 arrives, the prices would definitely fall after that....

swifty_morgan said:
skyrim heavily modded should have been a clue NOT to run 1gig cards. cross-firing would not help with low end cards. if you opt for a 6800 series go for the 2gig model... ( 6870 ) Personally I would get a 2gig 6950 or greater.
the option for the 7800 series. this late in the game it might be worth finding out the cost of these cards. performance should be equal to and/or better than the 6900 series depending on the card. Also nvidia has new cards on the horizon.

"BUDGET: Up to 200 (willing to go over if it makes a HUGE difference)"
it will. you should budget for it.

esrever said:
the mods can be easily ran with 1 gb of vram. I have the high texture mod as well as most of the increase quality mods and I have no problem with my 1gb of vram.

When I used my 5770 1Gig single GPU with no mods I was getting really good frames per second. It was only after adding a bunch of texture mods like Esrever did when I noticed it wasnt as smooth as before. So I kinda believe if I add another 5770 and crossfire it, it will bring my performance back up to what it was before. I have to ask you three if you guys have benchmarks that show 5770CF performance compared to what you guys were saying, you know, to see if it's worth getting a CF or just a single GPU.




Thank you guys for all your responses :D  I appricaite it a lot.


m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:56:07 PM

i5 750 does not run @ 2.67 ghz.. I had same cpu it auto turbo modes to 3.00 + ghz on all 4 cores... that cpu wont bottleneck anything
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 8:05:50 PM

run-dll said:
i5 750 does not run @ 2.67 ghz.. I had same cpu it auto turbo modes to 3.00 + ghz on all 4 cores... that cpu wont bottleneck anything

I'm just going off of what My Computer's Properties says. This is what I bought two years ago. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
March 4, 2012 6:27:35 PM

See, adding another 5770 to that setup will only be a viable option for a year or so (unless you are gonna play skyrim for that long a time).

And as I see, 6870 doesn't necessarily mean a much greater performance w.r.t. 2 5770s in Xfire.

So, if u wanna save bucks for the short run, get the 5770, and yeah, 2nd hand , coz u only gonna want to keep it for another couple of years, so u wont need warranty as u will have a backup card, and 2nd hand 5770s could be pretty cheap (i knew a guy who was selling it for 65$).

So, you only have really two options, getting another 5770 to make skyrim a breeze, or upgrading to a 6950 or something, so that u can use that gpu in ur next build.

Personally, if I had 280$, i wud have gotten 6950 (futureproof)

But u r short on cash, and also fortunately wanting RPG games, well, 5770 seems a much better option.

And forget that I ever said anything bout a 6870. Its weak in Xfire, and nobody's gonna want to Xfire it anyway.
m
0
l
!