Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Strange Rattling sounds comming from my PSU please help!!!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Build
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 2, 2012 8:35:48 PM

Hi guys.

A wile back i got help here finding a nice build to do for my new system. I've build that build and have had many happy hours using it so far. Only now i got a problem. Couple days ago i started to hear a soft rattling sound sometimes but if i turned my head for example the sound was gone so i tought it was just me going nuts from missing sleep. Since a day or two i really started to notice it again and worse then before. Now today it just got to bad. It's constant now and it drives me crazy.

I recorded the sound as good as possible with the camera in my phone and uploaded it to youtube so you can hear what i'm talking about. Thought that would be a lot more helpfull then my simple discription.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVc_MilEGQE

The psu btw. is an XFX Core Edition Pro 750W sitting in an CM HAF912+ case so it's with the fan down (please tell me i didn't screw up there :/  )

I really hope you guys can help me. I have years left on the warranty but before i'm going to take and steps i hoped to find some answeres here.

Thanks.

More about : strange rattling sounds comming psu

a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 8:41:30 PM

Most likely the fan, see if anything is touching the fan.
m
l
August 2, 2012 8:48:55 PM

Nope clean between the case and fanshield and the dust roster etc. is all on the ouside of the case.

I did shut down the comp for a couple mins. And after stardup it's not making the sound right away but it did come back after a bit.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 8:53:25 PM

Could be fan bearings also, have you tried lubricating it?
m
l
August 2, 2012 8:57:37 PM

I'm hesitant to open it (i'm guessing that what is needed to lube it) since that voids any warrenty left on it (still have almost 5yrs left).
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2012 9:06:11 PM

Send it back then.
But check the other fans aswell.
August 2, 2012 9:08:54 PM

Yeah i was afraith of that. I did check all other fans by shutting them off but no change until i shut the whole system down. so psu off was sound gone. Just hoped there would be a less "intrusive" way to fix something like this seeing as i'm work dependent on my system but what to do right.
m
l
!