Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PCIe or External Sound Card??

Last response: in Components
August 2, 2012 8:57:53 PM

Hi,

I want to get a sound card for my computer so that I can take advantage of my 5.1 surround sound speakers but my motherboard only has one PCI card slot (I think that's what the big one is called!) which is taken up by my graphics card, however I do have one spare PCIe slot (The other taken up with a wireless card) I'm not sure whether to get a PCIe Sound Card which is quite expensive compared to a PCI one or to get an external one. My budget is £20 - £30.

Can you recommend any particular cards and whether internal PCIe or external is better??

This is the motherboard I have - MSI H61m-P23

Thanks
Thomas
a c 259 U Graphics card
a c 400 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:43:19 AM

Have you tried using the onboard sound? The VIA chip you have is suppose to provide for 5.1

You motherboard's slots that are available are PCIex1. That is the type of interface the card requires if you go with an internal one. I prefer internal, but that's me. Here are some 5.1 internal cards available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I have this one, but I don't think it's available anymore except maybe used like on ebay:  RODFAQ_17927,VARSET=CategoryID:1" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.asp...
m
l
August 3, 2012 9:52:10 AM

I have tried the VIA audio but it's rubbish and the 5.1 doesn't work. I read on the internet that nearly everyone has the same problem! I have decided that I will probably just get a new motherboard and case and rebuild my computer so that i have a spare PCI slot! Thanks for your help!

Thanks
Thomas
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 11:35:06 PM

Just FYI. Your motherboard doesn't have any PCI slots. The big slot your graphics are plugged into is a PCIEx16 slot. And you have 3 PCIE x1 slots
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2012 11:27:08 PM

what make and model is your motherboard
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2012 12:06:00 PM

At that price range, the only real option is the ASUS Xonar DGX (PCI-E).
m
l
August 7, 2012 8:55:20 AM

I looked at that one but it's very orientated towards gamers and I need for for music and gaming :/ 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2012 12:04:01 PM

The DGX is just as good when it comes to music/movies. Heck, the C-Media chipset its built on has ALWAYS been geared toward music and movies, mostly because Creative has been so focused on gaming...
August 15, 2012 11:05:35 AM

Best answer selected by tomtomhoch.
m
l
!