Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX570 or HD6970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 12, 2012 5:54:10 PM

Ok first i want to ask for close minded AMD/ATI lovers and close minded Intel/NVidia lovers to stay out of this discussion please.

ok now thats done...
I was strongly going for this GTX570:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

and recently i got told to go for the HD6000, but I'm still thinking MSI, so heres the card:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Which should i go for, i don't know the pros/cons, and price wise they are pretty similar, they both take on the great Twin Frozr III, aesthetically they are the same, so just give me ur hopefully non-biased(if no close minded lovers are involved) thoughts on this.

More about : gtx570 hd6970

February 12, 2012 6:35:05 PM

goga44 said:
Ok first i want to ask for close minded AMD/ATI lovers and close minded Intel/NVidia lovers to stay out of this discussion please.

ok now thats done...
I was strongly going for this GTX570:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

and recently i got told to go for the HD6000, but I'm still thinking MSI, so heres the card:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

Which should i go for, i don't know the pros/cons, and price wise they are pretty similar, they both take on the great Twin Frozr III, aesthetically they are the same, so just give me ur hopefully non-biased(if no close minded lovers are involved) thoughts on this.



Both are pretty equal in therm of performance but the 6970 should be a little cheaper then a gtx570.So either find a cheaper 6970 or wait for kelper2 or the 7800's


Some more GPU benchmark: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=306

This is realy a go for the lowest price if both are seling at the same price (thats unlikely to hapen if you make some research) then I'd say Nvidia is known for beeing faster releasing patch even if it shouldn't make a big difference for a 2011 card.
Related resources
February 12, 2012 7:04:46 PM

Its true that both the cards have same performance in most of the cases.
If you wanna play 3d titles then definitely nvidia has the edge but if you are looking to hook up couple of monitors to your rig then radeon is the one you should go for.
Radeon cards have proved to better than the previous generation cards in crossfire, if you have sli or crossfire setup in mind then i ll prefer radeon over nvidia.
On the other hand the game titles these days are taking advantage of nvidia's Physx technology, thats another factor to be considered. And other stuff too like overclocking potential and all....
a c 539 U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 8:09:10 PM

The first question to ask yourself is: What games do you intend to play?

Different games will prefer one or the other. Your strategy should be to look at benchmarks comparing performance in the games that you actually intend to play. It would be misleading for anyone to tell you that one or the other clearly and consistently outperforms the other.

To illustrate, this chart shows the 6970 versus the GTX 570 in a variety of benchmarks. The red bars to the left of center are games that favor the GTX 570, bars to the right of center favor the 6970 (click for a larger image):



While trying to present facts, and not trying to sound too biased, it's not a stretch to state that the majority of popular games are going to lean towards the Nvidia option. This is due to having a much better system in place for working with game developers and a stronger driver development system. Also, just doing some simple research on AMD drivers versus Nvidia drivers is going to yield a clear trend, that Nvidia drivers are better, paricularly when it comes to new game releases. Do yourself a favor and read these articles/reviews from HardOCP:
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_dr...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/28/skyrim_amd_cr...
http://hardocp.com/article/2011/11/22/battlefield_3_mul...
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2012/02/09/where_are_amds_o...

Another decision point is whether or not you intend to overclock. A little advertised fact is that the GTX 570 is going to scale better when overclocking than the 6970. What that means, is that you will get a greater performance boost for each clock speed increase on the GTX 570 than you will on the 6970. Having shaders clocked at 2x the core speed on Nvidia cards, versus 1x on AMD cards, is a contributing factor.

Lastly, if you intend to play any PhysX games, like the Batman Arkham games, Metro 2033 or its upcoming sequel, Mafia 2, or Unreal Tournament 3, then the choice is easy to select the GTX 570 for the PhysX effects.
February 13, 2012 12:55:59 PM

OK so my only problem with ATI is really the PhysX, can i buy the HD6970 and a cheap NVidea for PhysX? can that work?
February 13, 2012 5:26:41 PM

Why get stuck with that? At newegg, 570 is almost at a similar rate to 6970. And u wud be getting the PhysX too.
a c 539 U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 5:59:44 PM

goga44 said:
OK so my only problem with ATI is really the PhysX, can i buy the HD6970 and a cheap NVidea for PhysX? can that work?

I thought the two Twin Frozr cards you originally selected were priced exactly the same. Why would you then spend extra on a dedicated card? Have you gone through a series of benchmarks for your favorite games and discovered a clear winner?
February 13, 2012 6:00:23 PM

But wouldn't 2 graphics card be better? the HD6970 + GT 430= a little more expensive than GTX 420, and i suppose better performance and PhysX
February 13, 2012 6:01:59 PM

Quote:
I thought the two Twin Frozr cards you originally selected were priced exactly the same. Why would you then spend extra on a dedicated card? Have you gone through a series of benchmarks for your favorite games and discovered a clear winner?


I found a alightly cheaper ATI somewhere else
!