Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need a super quiet cooler for AMD A8 (FM1) + Mini ATX

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2012 9:01:27 PM

Looks like the Hydro coolers also make noise. Can anyone suggest me a super quiet cooler for my FM1 CPU?

Thanks!
a b À AMD
April 20, 2012 9:07:30 PM

what kind of case?

If your case is huge then a scythe ninja with the fan set to the low range is quieter than any room I have been in recently

If its a low profile HTPC then its hard to go past the Big Shuriken
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 20, 2012 9:30:31 PM

BTW, Big Shuriken is not an FM1 cooler.
m
l
a b À AMD
April 20, 2012 9:46:38 PM

Big Shuriken fits AM3 so it fits FM1 too , but its too tall [ 58 mm ] for your case which is only 54 mm high

m
l
April 21, 2012 3:50:19 AM

Thanks tassietim, this is good but it's not a quiet fan. The upper level of its noise is more than 30 db which is really loud.
m
l
April 21, 2012 3:51:40 AM

@Outlander, is that right? sorry, I thought the spec should exactly say FM1. If that's the case, I can actually find many more fans. But are you 100% sure about it?
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:00:30 AM

Thermalright arrow nah just kidding.

doesn't cooler master have those dwarf cooler? I heard they are nice never used one thought. or those from deep cool I've seen some dwarf cooler, but about their reliability I'm not sure,
m
l
a b À AMD
April 21, 2012 6:05:45 AM

patrickestarian said:
@Outlander, is that right? sorry, I thought the spec should exactly say FM1. If that's the case, I can actually find many more fans. But are you 100% sure about it?

all AM2 , AM2+ , AM3 and AM3+ coolers fit on FM1

but as your case is only 54 mm high [ 2.1 inches ], and the internal space after the mb is mounted is even less than this , then even a low profile cooler like the big shuriken 2 just does not fit

m
l
April 21, 2012 3:01:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. How about a hydro cooler? in newegg they were saying that hydro coolers make noise too. something like an aquarium pump. so how can I build a super quiet pc?
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:05:50 PM

@Tavo_Nova, I checked for cool master. They are usually more than 18 db which makes them not quiet.
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:08:45 PM

@tassietim,

Yes, I think I have to change my case and get a bigger one. That's a shame because that case is very tiny and nice looking AND it's fanless (it comes with an external power adapter)
m
l
a b À AMD
April 21, 2012 8:48:21 PM

For a media play back the triple core is more than adequate .

You would only need more processor power if you were expecting to game and/or edit videos and pics

For cases that have sufficient room inside , and still look like HTPC then its hard to go past the
Silverstone GD 05 [or nearly identical GD 04 that has a stealthed drive bay ]
http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-gd05

Once you have done a 7 volt mod to the fans its completely silent .
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

You will be able to use an m-ATX motherboard , and have more expansion options .....like adding a tv tuner .

There is also an updated version of this case called the GD 06
m
l
April 21, 2012 10:18:26 PM

Have you considered passive cooling?
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:04:46 AM

@Outlander_04

Wow! this is very nice. A 7 volt fan should be much quieter than a 12 volt one. Thanks a lot for the tip.

The Silverstone case is nice but it's a little too big. I have found a few chic casings but they are usually very expensive. Some of them are more than $1,000 but I think if I do more research I should be able to find something cheap and at the same time, elegant.

Thanks again
m
l
April 22, 2012 5:10:12 AM

@zooted, yes, I found a couple of passive-cooled cases but usually they are heavy and their both sides have blades for cooling which makes it not what I want to have in my tv stand as a top box.
m
l

Best solution

May 17, 2012 3:17:03 PM

whats a real shame , after looking around for a nice cooler to use in a itx based pc i was building for a friends new pc , i found this one Artic Cooler Freezer 11 LP for it ( http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/188/freezer-11-lp... ). was using it with i3 530 based system...only issue i had was not for amd >.< if only they made one for amd ........one off the quietest cpu coolers i've every used, even when running in the Antec ISK110 VESA Mini-ITX Desktop Case i was using , holding the case to my ear ,,,,,nada,,,, nothing,,,, no sound
hope they make an AMD based one soon
May 17, 2012 9:34:58 PM

Best answer selected by patrickestarian.
m
l
!