Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card for 120Hz HDTV and Just Cause 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2012 6:31:08 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 620 with the Intel i5 processor with a 300w power supply and running Windows 7, 64 bit. It currently has the Integrated Intel® HD 2000 Graphics Card in it and it only runs at a maximum 60Hz on my LCD HDTV. I want to be able to upgrade this so that I can watch my NHL Gamecenter in 1080p/120Hz and be able to play Just Cause 2 at a playable frame rate. When I purchased this PC I expected it to do both, but it has disappointed me.

What graphics card can I purchase without having to replace the power supply to achieve the above goals? Can I even upgrade this system, since it has an integrated graphics card?

In addition my HDTV has an issue with overscanning so I have to connect that to the PC via VGA. I would assume that connecting via DVI to HDMI would have the same issue. Will using the VGA make a graphics card upgrade null and void as far as the 1080p/120Hz? I've heard that some Geforce cards allow you to adjust for overscanning issues while using HDMI cables as well, so Geforce would be preferred. It's also recommended by Edios: Just Cause 2.

*I can still return this PC I purchased for about $600 and get something of equivalent or slightly higher value if that would be a better choice. This PC already has issues identifying wireless networks 2 days out of the box as it is, so I'm not particularly attached to it.
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 6:43:02 PM

Whats your LCD? Because very few TV's run true 120hz, infact the only ones i know that do so are 3d TV's or nvidia 3d vision tested ones. Most "120"hz TV's only display dynamic 120hz instead of true constant 120hz which 3d TV's do.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:01:41 PM

My HDTV is a Cheap RCA 55" I got in a Walmart Bundle for a good price. I'm sure it's no fancy 120Hz. I do know that it's in the computer. The TV identifies info in the top right of the screen when changing inputs and it states that it is running at 1080p/60Hz. I'm not particularly familiar with Windows 7, but the highest I'm able to turn it up is 60Hz where you adjust resolution and whatnot.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:32:48 PM

Right which means even if you get a new graphics card you will run into the same issue as the last. You cant force 120hz if your TV doesnt display "True" 120hz and not dynamic 120hz. If its a cheap RCA 55" it sounds like it just has something called fast motion which is emulated 120hz not true. You will run 60hz regardless of what graphics card you buy because its a limitation of your TV. Believe me 120hz true displays are 3D TVs. If it doesn't say 3d on the side of your TV you wont be able to run your computer at that refresh rate.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:40:32 PM

I don't know man. I need to get a second opinion on that. You may be right, but the HDTV was advertised as 120Hz. It said it all over the box. I would think that if it was running at it's maximum capacity, regardless of if it was "true" or some kind of "fast motion," it would display 120Hz on the screen.

I can't actually find any definitive specs on this video card or a comparison to a more known brand, but I have found that it is supposed to optimally run the new Star Wars Online, which has pretty good visual content. I would think that it would be able to play 120Hz or Just Cause 2 on low settings, but it could be why it's a cheaper price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:43:55 PM

Id take that back cause no offense, its not very powerful. Be better off building your own with better parts for slightly more.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:47:57 PM

Yeah, my intention was to get something that did just enough to do the 120Hz and I figured that would run Just Cause 2 after reading the requirements. I'm more of a console gamer, but just needed something to tie me over til I could get a new PS3. That game didn't seem to be ridiculously demanding.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2012 7:50:39 PM

Well if you link the TV information we can verify whether or not you would be getting 120hz or not. I have 3 120hz tv's from 2010 and none of them support 120hz from the computer because of the chip inside of the tv.
m
l
!