Question about ArctiClean used on mobo socket LGA2011 pins.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Hey guys,
I have a question about the socket pins on LGA 2011. My friend dropped some TIM on the pins and used ArctiClean citric based cleaner to get rid of it from the mobo pins but now he wonders if it was a good idea. The socket makes citric smell despite he cleaned it with isopropyl alocohol . Is it smart to test if the system is working ? Or better idea will be to send it to asus for a socket replacement ? Or maybe there is some other way to remove the citric oil residue left after cleaning with arcti clean ? This is what was used on the cpu socket pins : http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm ...

drums101

Distinguished
I have had this issue before and let me tell you it is a nightmare....the chance that he was able to clean out the socket with out bending or moving any of the 2011 pins in there is slim to none....if I were you I wouldnt risk putting your cpu in there and have it do damage to your cpu.....you should attempt to rma the motherboard and see if asus can send you another one....I have done this before in the past bent all kinds of pins and xfx sent me a brand new board despite the fact that it was my fault...maybe you will get lucky too

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Thank You for reply. Well i can see that the pins are not bent . The question is about the arcti clean citric oils which probably still are there due to the citric smell comeing form there. I ve had bent pins in my own mobo and they replaced the socket.. thas why i ask. Im not sure how theyreplace those sockets but if it involves soldering i am not sure that the service solder will be better than the factory one ... I fear that after service the board will need to rmad in some time ... and so far it works really well.

drums101

Distinguished
I doubt that they replaced the socket on your motherboard...they probably just gave you a whole new board....unless there was some definite way you could tell that you got the same pcb back...I would play it on the safe side and RMA your board...you will most likely get a new one back in return.