360 Backwards with Greatest Hits

Top selling games = Greatest Hits + select titles like Ninja Gaiden,
DOA2 series, Halo series, Splinter Cell series, Spider-Man 2,
GrandTheftAuto series and more...

Which will help us sort out all the sorry games like "Gun Valkyrie" and
"Raw2"

These are obviously not the only games the 360 will be backwards-compatible
with.

Rowdy J wrote:
> These are obviously not the only games the 360 will be
> backwards-compatible with.

Well, apparently the 360 won't be backwards compatible with any Xbox
games.

They have to be re-compiled for the new hardware.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996

Which means what? You have to buy them again, presumably.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Rowdy J wrote:
>> These are obviously not the only games the 360 will be
>> backwards-compatible with.
>
> Well, apparently the 360 won't be backwards compatible with any Xbox
> games.
>
> They have to be re-compiled for the new hardware.
>
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996
>
> Which means what? You have to buy them again, presumably.

Or in the best case scenario, the 360 hard drive comes with updated
..exes (or whatever) for the various games.

Jeremy Reaban <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> They have to be re-compiled for the new hardware.

> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996

> Which means what? You have to buy them again, presumably.

No it means that gamesindustry.biz doesn't know about how computers work
nor what "backwards compatibility" means.

As has already been pointed out elsewhere, XBox360 will be backwards
compatible - at least with some titles - by utilizing a hardware emulator
that is supposedly under development as I type.

The only way you can achieve backwards compatibility is by allowing the
original version of the code to run, UNMODIFIED, on the new platform.
This does NOT mean recompiling - that's called a "port" and is NOT the
same thing as backwards compatibility.

and Doug Jacobs made the comment...

>As has already been pointed out elsewhere, XBox360 will be backwards
>compatible - at least with some titles - by utilizing a hardware emulator
>that is supposedly under development as I type.

"Will be..." using vaporware? Whatever PowerPC they use, it must be pretty
good if its going to emulate a 733 Mhz Pentium. Look into some of the other
emulators out there. They have a hard time emulating a 1.79 Mhz 6502 or a 7
Mhz 68000.

If the PowerPC had that much guts, Apple wouldn't be switching.