reference about files/directories in XP Pro

I am in the process of cleaning up Windows XP Prof so that it can be reduced
to a minimum for my use.

Are there any web site or books that describe every single files and folders
(other than 3rd party softwares) that are under 'Windows' and 'Program
Files', how they are related? That way I can safely remove anything that I
don't need. The usual Control Panel wasn't enough to remove them.

Specifically, I have XP Professional (I chose it over Home edition since
laptop included it for the same price), and I would like to use it to run
games, some educational softwares, web browsing (Firefox, IE) and email
(Thunderbird).

But I don't need any file sharing, routing, Netmeeting, multimedia, cd
writing, development, etc. etc. I just want to make Windows as lean as
possible without taking up 2GB with useless files.

I almost tried installing Windows 98 (it should be legal with my XP license)
but XP seems to be less headache.

"Kyuso Cahi" <kyuso@softhome.net> wrote

Try http://www.litepc.com/download.html XPLite

a nonymous wrote:

> "Kyuso Cahi" <kyuso@softhome.net> wrote
> | I am in the process of cleaning up Windows XP Prof so that it can be
> | reduced to a minimum for my use.
> | But I don't need any file sharing, routing, Netmeeting, multimedia, cd
> | writing, development, etc. etc. I just want to make Windows as lean as
> | possible without taking up 2GB with useless files.
>

> Try http://www.litepc.com/download.html XPLite

Thanks, but that doesn't seem free. I went ahead and removed many files
after checking around the web for some hints, such as

http://www.roger.id.au/tweaks/slimming.php

only to find that I don't have Start menu anymore, and some system/utility
softwares (MMC, etc.) won't run.

But I can run most other applications without problems. That's because I can
still get to menu directory through 'F3' key or 'Menu' key on my keyboard,
but that's not acceptable for the long run.

Here are the files I removed. I can restore them from my backup, but can you
tell me which ones I require to get my start menu back, and have system
softwares run? Or could it be something to do with the registry?

Program Files\
MSN Gaming Zone
Messenger
NetMeeting
Online Services
Outlook Express
Windows Media Player
microsoft frontpage
WINDOWS\
Downloaded Installations\*
Downloaded Program Files\*
Driver Cache\i386\*
History\*
Installer\*
Offline Web Pages\*
Prefetch\*
RegisteredPackages\*
ServicePackFiles\i386\*
Tasks\*
Temp\*
Temporary Internet Files\*
Uninstal\*
WinSxS\*
addins\*
catroot\*
csc\*
eHome\*
font\*
help\*
inf\*
msapps\*
mui\*
repair\*
spool\*
srchasst\*
sysbckup\*
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\
Restore\*
backup\*
dhcp\*
dllcache\*
oobe\*
usmt\*

Kyuso Cahi wrote:

> a nonymous wrote:
>

>> "Kyuso Cahi" <kyuso@softhome.net> wrote
>> | I am in the process of cleaning up Windows XP Prof so that it can be
>> | reduced to a minimum for my use.
>> | But I don't need any file sharing, routing, Netmeeting, multimedia, cd
>> | writing, development, etc. etc. I just want to make Windows as lean as
>> | possible without taking up 2GB with useless files.
>>

>> Try http://www.litepc.com/download.html XPLite
>
> Thanks, but that doesn't seem free. I went ahead and removed many files
> after checking around the web for some hints, such as
>
> http://www.roger.id.au/tweaks/slimming.php
>
> only to find that I don't have Start menu anymore, and some system/utility
> softwares (MMC, etc.) won't run.
>
> But I can run most other applications without problems. That's because I
> can still get to menu directory through 'F3' key or 'Menu' key on my
> keyboard, but that's not acceptable for the long run.
>
> Here are the files I removed. I can restore them from my backup, but can
> you tell me which ones I require to get my start menu back, and have
> system softwares run? Or could it be something to do with the registry?

Sorry to waste bandwidth by answering my own question.

I couldn't find any way for XP to behave again without repairing from cd.
But I also found a little utility which I'll try and hope that will help.

http://nuhi.msfn.org/nlite.html

It seems a lot of people had the same need and came up with some solution.
Thank you for all the reply.

| >> "Kyuso Cahi" <kyuso@softhome.net> wrote

| > a nonymous wrote:
| >> Try http://www.litepc.com/download.html XPLite

| Kyuso Cahi wrote:
| > Thanks, but that doesn't seem free.

On that page, there is a "Trial Verson" which is perpetually free.

a nonymous wrote:

> | Kyuso Cahi wrote:
> | > Thanks, but that doesn't seem free.
>
> On that page, there is a "Trial Verson" which is perpetually free.

I can't remove most of the components with the trial version. I don't want
to spend money for that.

All I want is to have a lean OS that I can use for games and education and
occasional web access. Something like Windows 98 but more stable like XP. I
have wrestled myself with the question of replacing XP with Windows 98, but
I just couldn't get the courage to face headaches again.

> All I want is to have a lean OS that I can use for games and education and
> occasional web access. Something like Windows 98 but more stable like XP.
> have wrestled myself with the question of replacing XP with Windows 98,
> but
> I just couldn't get the courage to face headaches again.

Disk space is cheaper than the time you're gonna spend doing and undoing
manual/individual file deletions. It's just not worth it.

As for having a lean OS to play games, keep in mind that having a file
sitting on a hard drive and doing nothing isn't going to affect your gaming
performance. Defrag your partitions every once in a while. Look into
disabling unnecessary services if you're so hellbent on performance; but
don't waste your time deleting individual files...

Unless you consider your time to be without value.

All IMHO, of course...

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

>> All I want is to have a lean OS that I can use for games and education
>> and occasional web access. Something like Windows 98 but more stable like
>> XP. I
>> have wrestled myself with the question of replacing XP with Windows 98,
>> but
>> I just couldn't get the courage to face headaches again.
>
> Disk space is cheaper than the time you're gonna spend doing and undoing
> manual/individual file deletions. It's just not worth it.

Not if it's built into a laptop. Upgrading laptop hard drive is not cheap.

> As for having a lean OS to play games, keep in mind that having a file
> sitting on a hard drive and doing nothing isn't going to affect your
> gaming

I'm not worried about speed. I'm worried about space. Defrag will not
increase my space.

> Unless you consider your time to be without value.

That's why I was asking it here. I know there must be people who know
exactly what files are needed for what.

All I want is a way to know what files to remove if I already disabled those
components.

Okay, here are the components I didn't disable, so please tell me what files
I don't need anymore for the rest of the components I disabled:

Application Management
RPC Locator
Removable Storage
Windows Installer
DHCP Client
DNS Client
HID Input Service
Network Connections
Plug and Play
RPC
Security Accounts Manager
Shell Hardware Detection
Windows Audio
Windows Image Acquisition
Workstation

Should I have bought Home edition instead? Does the Home edition contain all
of the above components? I still need multiple user accounts and access to
samba network drive.

Kyuso Cahi wrote:

> I am in the process of cleaning up Windows XP Prof so that it can be
> reduced to a minimum for my use.
>
> Are there any web site or books that describe every single files and
> folders (other than 3rd party softwares) that are under 'Windows' and
> 'Program Files', how they are related? That way I can safely remove
> anything that I don't need. The usual Control Panel wasn't enough to
> remove them.

Finally, I found the website. Sorry to waste bandwidth by answering my own
question.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=101731

It's part of a book from Que by Stu Sjouwerman.

Thank you for all the replies.