Sign in with
Your question

Need some opinions

Last response: in Components
August 2, 2012 11:43:41 PM

Do you think

OCZ's 500w CoreXStream psu is capable of running with stability the

PNY's Geforce GTS 450 together with all other components CPU + fan, HDD, CD-Rom and other stuff?

More about : opinions

a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:18:35 AM

Hi :) 

Yes, easily...

All the best Brett :) 
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:27:27 AM

+1 to Brett...without a doubt a 500watt psu can run a gts 450
Related resources
August 3, 2012 12:28:37 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Yes, easily...

All the best Brett :) 

ok thanks

Its just that im just wondering if either it was a PSU problem or was it just too weak for the GPU.

The 500w ocz PSU was able to run the whole rig but can't get to Post + 1 beep. When i pulled it out i tried a different PSU and i was able to get to a Beep later on with other parts installed back that i tested out( ram, hdd, gpu.. etc) i was able to get a Post up on my screen as well as the beep.

checked out the PSU that doesnt work anymore (OCZ) and it had a plastic melted smell inside of it.

GPU requirements where about

Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A)

psu

500w OCZ corexstream dual rail 12v1 at 20a 12v2 at 25a

Just felt gutted since it was brand new out of the box. :( 
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:36:40 AM

you could have just gotten a bad psu.....ocz has issues with that....500watts are more than enough to power your rig that wasnt the problem at all..you should return yours and get a replacement or try a different brand
August 3, 2012 12:43:05 AM

^ye ill do it later i guess and thanks for the info! i wanted to make sure that it was the psu's fault and not ours by choosing a weaker psu then overloading then eventually melting it :/ 

what i found weird though was that you know those plastic strips used to secure wiring to keep the insides of the tower neat and to maximise airflow,.....
i found 2-4 of it strapped in the copper coils inside the OCZ's 500w did saw some started to melt and definitely had a smell on it and there where stuff melted on the circuit board i presume.

Thanks again for the info will further check things out and eventually get a refund or a new piece.
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 12:52:32 AM

what ever you do do not open up the psu to check it out....a) it voids your warrenty and b) unless you know what you are doing you could seriously injure yourself (caps can store energy for like 24hours in there)....those cable ties you saw in there were to keep the cables away from hot components. Apparently they were too close and were melted.
August 3, 2012 1:35:33 AM

they looked like the plastic cuffs used by the corrupted police in here (xD) but just smaller they literally where in between the copper coils literally touching the edges too.

But nope did not open it up already found OCZ's forum and it seems like alot of people are complaining with same thing as well. Gonna post there later for now gonna go sleep almost 3am in the morning here.

thanks again~

-tetsu
!