Sign in with
Your question

New Build - Have Questions

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2012 12:46:29 AM

Hello all,

I've decided that I want to upgrade my current system, I'm going to try and reuse some components from my existing build (from 2009), but honestly don't know what will be able to carry over beyond the hard-drives.

My questions mainly revolve around opinions on the components I am considering, will they fit into the case I am considering (if anyone has experience with it). I'm also open to suggestions regarding more suitable options, this doesn't need to be a bleeding edge system, but I want it somewhat future proofed (as much as a system can be in this day and age). I want a sleek look rather than flashy for my case, which is another area I'm open to suggestions.

Attached is a link to the wishlist on tigerdirect.com. I still need a graphics card solution, I'm looking for details on that. I'll obviously be running dual monitors. I enjoy gaming, and the cards should be able to play whatever I throw at it.

New Build @ TigerDirect.com

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

More about : build questions

April 21, 2012 1:46:52 AM

Could you use the sticky at the top of this subforum? The one that says something about how to ask for advice? We would really be able to help you more with that.

Could you list the components from your old system? What games will you play? At what resolution? What quality? Any video editing? What budget? These are all supposed to be answered by the sticky.

Anyway, that is one heck of an overpriced build. I'll list the parts I'd pick through pcpartpicker... it's got links to retailers. Keep in mind that because Ivy Bridge isn't out yet (April 23rd), the CPU is interchangeable with the i5-3570k... we have to see how it performs.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Again, this is interchangeable with the i5-3570k, we'll see how it does
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
How much are you going to overclock? Liquid cooling may be... excessive
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Alternatively, you can get the Extreme6
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Maybe 16GB if you're editing a lot of video. 1600 should be fast enough. This is 1.5v, CAS9, as well.
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($125.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Also interchangeable with whatever you would like
Hard Drive: Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($229.99 @ Newegg)
You could go with a 128GB, but this leaves a LOT of space for everything you'd ever need to put on it.
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($547.86 @ Newegg)
MSI Twin Frozr II OC is a great manufacturer.... seriously, if you get a different GPU (and this is the best there is), at least make sure it's MSI Twin Frozr II OC or Hawk
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Eh... you could go with a Corsair 400R or something like that. I just love this case because it looks so sexy. Seriously... check it out. However, if you want a Corsair or something, that's fine. I can recommend one. The thing is that this one is fine for cooling, although I don't know if an H100 will fit (it's got a huge opening on top for a couple 200mm fans, I think, though). Alternative color schemes are available, although this looks pretty B.A., don't you think?
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Great deal on a great, silver rated PSU. Not modular, though. 950W is above and beyond what you need. I'm sure you could stay with their 750W version, but this one is cheaper (due to a newegg deal) and also will insure you to have adequate power for a future SLI setup if you wish.
Total: $1531.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-04-20 21:41 EDT-0400)
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:01:16 AM

What he said.^
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2012 2:38:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I will go and reference the sticky and repost some of that information. As far as your recommended options, thanks for the insight and I'll check some of those out as well.
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:46:27 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Will purchase once components are selected - should I wait for Ivy Bridge? Is it expected to see major improvements in CPUs not in the $1000 price range?

Budget Range: 1500-3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Development, Surfing the web

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, have old hard drives that I am contemplating reusing.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: tigerdirect.com

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: Quiet, capable PC without a lot of bling. I want it to be fast and able to handle near future improvements.
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:49:06 AM

1500-3000 budget? Can you narrow that down
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:51:07 AM

Budget really isn't an issue - if there is value in a component then I am open to it. I wouldn't want to spend money unnecessarily, but am willing to for the right specs. But, if I had to narrow it down, from past experience I'll say 2000-2500.
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:11:35 AM

I like the build ddan has proposed although I think I would grab a modular PSU if I could.
m
l
April 21, 2012 11:50:23 AM

If you want it quieter, maybe the case I suggested isn't the best. Fractal R3 is the best quiet case you can get imo. I've got a picture of it below. PC Power and Cooling has modular PSUs, but they're bronze rated. At that point, you could get a Corsair or a Seasonic... the only reason I suggested that one was because it was a great deal for a silver rated PSU. Cable management in the 400R is probably better, but both cases aren't very quiet.
m
l
April 21, 2012 8:45:53 PM

I'm gonna check out this Fractal R3 case, thanks for the heads up. What power output will I need to run the proposed system, and have the option of adding a second gpu?
m
l
April 21, 2012 10:18:27 PM

The 950W I suggested will cover another GPU :) 

It would take up about 700W with two GPUs, a hefty overclock (4.5GHz at 1.35v), and a bunch of other stuff I added on like multiple HDDs... basically, it won't use more than 700W. Also, I accounted for 25% capacitor aging.
m
l
!