Am I the only one who hates modern keyboards?

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
So I'm a 90's kid and I grew up with the keyboards that had what many today are calling the "big keys".

You know, the kind where the keys stick out a bit and you don't have to be afraid of breaking anything.

I've messed with the keyboards with the keys that are not very tall and absolutely hate them.

I thought that gamers wouldn't like these but it seems that even modern gaming keyboards are being sold with the more modern design leading the keys to feel "cheap" to me.

I can't be the only one like this, to me nothing is quite the same than the feel of a big plastic key that I can pop off for easily cleaning and not have to worry about breaking.

Right now I'm using one of these and have been for at least 5 years and it's solid as a rock: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS490US490&biw=1600&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbnid=VTiNDgD2zPgVOM:&imgrefurl=http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/DELL-5N292-RT7D20-BLACK-UK-PS2-KEYBOARD/300600866402/item&docid=26Le0Hf1xw60iM&imgurl=http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/103/28/dell%252520kbd.jpg&w=1308&h=898&ei=dhsbUKWcB6GBiwL2-AE&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=470&sig=103430921241034631555&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=190&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:82&tx=104&ty=54

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Up until I read your post, I thought I was the only Neanderthal that still liked and used an 'old' keyboard. I still have my old Dell keyboard from my Pentium 4 just because I know it's going to be hard to find real keyboards anymore.

My main machine is fairly recent (see sig), but the keyboard attached and the one I'm typing on is an IBM Model M 'clickity' keyboard from 1984. I'm sure the designers never imagined it, but this 'clickety' keyboard from the 80's is even amazing for gaming. There's no substitute for mechanical keyboards...
So, I'm with you on that...

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I was reading earlier today about the Model M while doing some google searching. It seems they were the best keyboards ever made and some folks at Microsoft still use them.

I might have to buy one someday and watch the weird looks that I get.

My father had bought a used and really old Packard bell and we both agreed that the keyboard was amazing on that thing, it blows away this Dell I'm using when it comes to how the keys feel but I prefer the plastic molding on this Dell.

in some respects the ibm model m is a great keyboard but its certainly not the best. the model f has that honor for the oldschool. the fact that the underpinning of the model m is a membrane spoils it for me while the model f uses capacitors which makes it even more robust, so in theory will last a lot longer.
even though both keyboards are over 20 years old they still are the standard to which all aspire. which is still pretty cool...
currently i use the Q-pad mk 85 and credit where its due this is the best keyboard i have ever had the pleasure to use. and without boasting is probably 1 of the top 5 keyboards currently made anywhere...
its specifically for gaming so its very focused in the same way as the Model M was an office keyboard. the model m although very good would be frustrating to play fps and some other types of games on. the cherry key is slightly better designed in the respect that its actuation is half way down the keypress while the buckle spring has to be fully depressed to respond. in real terms if you gave sum1 who has never used either the choice between cherry blues/browns and an ibm model m/f the chances are they would pick the cherry based keyboard because it does feel nicer...
the tactile click is just that little more positive.

if your old school you will appreciate the ibm model but sadly for it and many others, things have moved on so although its still worthy of note i would say there are better options out there now.

I can't use the older keyboards, I mean I got plenty of them, mostly white 1's, but I hate how the keys are far apart, I like the laptop flat keys or low profile or whatever you want to call it, Logitech Illuminated keyboard for example. I agree they seem cheap tho compared to the older 1s where you can run them over with a car and still use them, or spill soda in the keys and still use them, lol.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not saying the IBM Model M is the end-all in keyboards. I was just using that as an example for protokiller of how keyboards used to be a quality made item instead of throw-aways like now. Btw, I recently disassembled my 1984 model m to finally clean it good. I was amazed that it was spotless inside, between keys etc. After some gentle surface cleaning, it looks like it's 1984 new again.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
I have these two keyboards that i like the most.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&tbnid=ITwNBLWRP2qnwM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sarahliz.co.uk/daf230-sarah/&docid=vZUssX2GrPpBWM&imgurl=http://www.sarahliz.co.uk/daf230-sarah/images/stories/computers/dell
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&channel=suggest&tbm=isch&tbnid=HDjDbPcgpjaPQM:&imgrefurl=http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp%3FobjectID%3Dc00392722%26lang%3Den%26cc%3Dus%26taskId%3D%26prodSeriesId%3D3344592%26prodTypeId%3D12454&docid=myUtrQOlHDKoHM&imgurl=http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportDocument/c00392722/c00391658.jpg&w=350&h=150&ei=J38dUOX9Dcqs0QXCmYHIDg&zoom=1&biw=1280&bih=655
They are both PS/2, i think they should never get rid of PS/2.

Not sure these class as old...

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008

That reminds me, a few DROPS of Doctor Pepper got on my netbook's keyboard which I quickly wiped off and completely ruined the keyboard, while I've sent my Dell keyboard through the dishwasher with no problems! lol

@Jay_nar I would still classify them as old. I'm using the dell keyboard you listed in the pictures, this thing is SOLID however the paint on my WSAD keys is chipping after nearly 7 years of gaming.

no yer not saying its the be all and end all, but a lot of oldschool typists do. they get to a certain age and they start hating innovation. it aint there fault its just how the human brain works. i dodnt disagree that the model m and f werent great but to me you can match there greatness or even beat it in some respects with newer hardware...
personally i do miss that little twang you get on the key return but i wont miss the heavy actuation needed to press the keys down... i mean have you tried cherry reds and browns... they take half the pressure to activate which means less tired fingers wen typing...
oh and yeah i also believe ps2 is a standard that should be kept.

think of it as an investment.
you spend £30+ on a dome keyboard every 2-4 years(1-3million keypresses). or you can spend 60+ on a mechanical and it will possibly last 15+ years(50 million keypresses). believe it or not there are some very reasonably priced keyboards produced by cherry.

then there wear and tear on your fingers while using them. older typists have tips of there fingers bent down because they have been force to apply over pressure, over years and years of typing on heavy keyboards. the new cherry switches have been designed to stop this deformation by requiring less force for activation. i have been using keyboards since i was 9 years old and only now after buying the mk85 do i notice how much i was battering the keys. but i have also noticed theres a lot less pain in my fingertips after a couple of hours of typing.
for this reason alone i would recommend a mechanical to any 1 who has the first/early symptoms of RSI.

so if you havent tried 1 and you have a spare 50-100 there are some very reasonable and very nice keyboards out there that use mechanical switches and i recomend you try 1. if you dont like it you can always send it back.

wealh

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Nope. I recently found somebody throwing out an old Dell k/b because (I quote) they 'wanted to upgrade to a new USB one.' I'm typing this missive on the Dell.....

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
For the longest time I stuck by my trusted Cherry mech KB, even when that new fangled PS2 fitting came along xD

Only upgraded eventually to a logitech G15 Mk1 which I must say I really liked

Cat knocked a glass of Red wine over that killing it, by which time the Mk2 was out and the price of a Mk1 off ebay was twice the Mk1's New price lol

so a little later I bought a G19 when they were released - Thankfully is a modded design and can now survive minor spills over the keys - 2 coffee's and counting lol

Several driver issues and Slow updates... (don't get me started on PC power on connected to an Asus P35 P5K Premium --- had to unplug the damn KB or would fail posting past USB check -.- )

- New software is Finally Much much better - But Must fully uninstall old drivers etc or will have lots of problems with buttons malfunctioning........

All together I do like it though even if was getting a bit annoyed :)

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm always in search of the perfect peripheral, whether it be a mouse, keyboard or gaming pad. I use to game with a Logitech G15, I loved it for it's backlighting but the key got mushy after a while so I went to a mechanical keyboard a Filco TenKeyLess. I've been using that for about a year but I game in the dark a lot a I really wanted something with backlighting. I'd been looking at the Corsair K90 for a couple of months now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816002
and finally pulled the trigger on one of these.

This is what I use for gaming:
HP_USB.jpg

And I'm happy with my ~1.5 K/D Ratio :wahoo:

runswindows95

Distinguished
Considering on a good day, I easily can do between 5,000 to 10,000 words, I've gone through a cheap wifi keyboard in less than six months. Currently running a Logitech MX520 wifi combo. It works great, but I'm with tinman. If I had the money, I would get that K90 keyboard. It's the best looking mechanical on Newegg with media controls. I know DAS and Cherry make keyboards as well, but none have media controls.

No preference. Although switching between the 2 require some adjustment.

Current keyboard is TT eSport Pro (the fan is not gimmick, it does keep palm dry).

After you use the flat keyboard for awhile, you will get used to how flat and keyboard is and how close the keys are. There is also less force need to press a key. It just feels typing require less effort because the fingers can slide across better and less pushing down of the key.