Sign in with
Your question

Completely lost

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2012 1:04:39 AM

I've been using my computer for about a year, and, suddenly, it just starts an endless reboot loop. Im on windows 7 and it restarts every time right before the log in screen where you see the windows logo. So far I have formatted and reinstalled the system on another hard drive and it still wont work, so it's definitely not the hd. Next I replaced the graphics card, still nothing. Next I tried just reseating everything, took out the cpu, ram, the case lights and pretty much everything else and replaced it right back. Still nothing. So far I think there might be some bent pins on the mobo, it's an i7 930 and a sabertooth x58, but I don't know if it could get that far if it was. I can go into bios, it sees my hard drive. Startup repair also doesn't work, but that should be obvious since a clean install doesn't work. So far, completely lost, the only pieces of hardware I haven't tried replacing are the power supply and the mobo, so I'm making an educated guess and saying it's one or the other, but I wanted to hear any feedback if possible

More information: On safe mode startup it stops at crcdisk.sys on windows vista and something else on 7. In startup repair it says under the error "startuprepairoffline", 6.1.7600.16385, 21200517

More about : completely lost

April 21, 2012 1:27:14 AM

Things to try:
-Reset the CMOS to factory defaults
-Use only 1 stick of RAM
-Disconnect ALL peripherals that aren't essential for booting into Windows (other than keyboard, mouse, and fans) including extra HDDs, your optical drives, usb hubs, flash drives, etc.
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:38:46 AM

Thanks! Tried them already, didn't want to have a two page long story so I didn't list everything at first. Took out the battery, completely reset all bios settings. Tried new ram, different ram voltage settings.. Currently, only mouse, keyboard and monitor are plugged in
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2012 1:55:56 AM

Can you update the bios?
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:58:37 AM

suteck said:
Can you update the bios?

My mobo is a sabertooth x58 so it has an ez flash setting, i may be able to do it through usb.. think that will make a difference? I'll look it up and update with new information
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2012 2:06:55 AM

Yes, you should be able to do it with a usb. Make sure it's formatted with fat32 and just put the .rom file on it. It might make a difference, it's an easy try and won't cost you anything.
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:33:38 AM

suteck said:
Yes, you should be able to do it with a usb. Make sure it's formatted with fat32 and just put the .rom file on it. It might make a difference, it's an easy try and won't cost you anything.

BIOS updated to newest version, still no login screen:( 
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:52:23 AM

have you changed the sata cable ?
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:55:53 AM

also try and press F8 before windows starts, when the Blue screen appears post the results here , look out for any 0x0000 codes
m
l
April 21, 2012 8:35:33 AM

Changed the power cables and sata cables.. code 0x000007B, but that doesn't really relate to the unexpected I/O error i get from startup repair or the startuprepairoffline error I get later on when it fails
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 1:27:20 PM

I think your first assessment is correct. It's most likely the motherboard over the psu.
m
l
!