Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can't access other computer in network/Homegroup

Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2012 12:29:19 AM

I am completely confused on how to access my desktop that is on my Homegroup. When I try to access my desktop from my laptop I get asked to "Enter Network Password". The password I used for my router and my homegroup are both not working and I tried changing my homegroup password without avail.

Can I just completely turn off the homegroup password? On both computers I have opted to turn off password protection for the network but it doesn't seem to change anything.

BTW, I can access my laptop via my desktop but just not vice versa.

I have tried to find user guides but nothing seems to help. I can't even leave the homegroup on my laptop which I find weird.
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 5:11:59 AM

When you select the folder to open it and it prompts you for a name and password put the name and password of the computer your connecting to into the boxes.

And yes you can turn off homegroup. I personally found homegroup annoying and just pick and choose my folders that I want to share.

January 17, 2012 7:52:39 AM

Hi patfactorx,

When you are trying to access your computer from laptop that time its asking for the password Right ??

then you have to enter there you computer Username and Password only not the Router Password.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 1:46:04 PM

skaz said:
When you select the folder to open it and it prompts you for a name and password put the name and password of the computer your connecting to into the boxes.

purushottamaher said:
then you have to enter there you computer Username and Password only not the Router Password.

Like I said...

January 17, 2012 5:05:15 PM

My problem now is that I am entering the homegroup password and it isn't working. It's also asking me for a login username and I'm not sure what to put there.
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 17, 2012 5:12:42 PM

Hi :) 

Have you got Norton on your machine ?

All the best Brett :) 
January 18, 2012 4:03:13 AM

YES patfactorx , thats i told you.

In Username field enter that system User Name like Administrator and in Password field enter that username's Password.

if that computer computer dont have password for login then give the password of that system username and then try to access.
January 18, 2012 4:33:43 AM

purushottamaher said:
YES patfactorx , thats i told you.

In Username field enter that system User Name like Administrator and in Password field enter that username's Password.

if that computer computer dont have password for login then give the password of that system username and then try to access.

I entered my laptop's name and it doesn't have a password so I just pressed enter but it still doesn't work.

Best solution

January 18, 2012 5:21:55 AM

Not the laptop you need to enter your desktop login details....
because you are trying to access desktop from your laptop ....
January 18, 2012 5:54:28 AM

Best answer selected by patfactorx.
January 18, 2012 5:54:53 AM

purushottamaher said:
Not the laptop you need to enter your desktop login details....
because you are trying to access desktop from your laptop ....

It worked! I had to set a password for my desktop since blank passwords weren't allowed.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2012 6:04:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
!