Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temperature limits

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2012 1:57:29 AM

so i plan on building my own rig, and along it i want to make my own case. but to make it last longer and increase the performance i plan on sticking insede the case an air purifirer and a refrigeration syrtem (if possible a freezer instead).

so my question is, is there a limit to how cold i can make it??

More about : temperature limits

April 21, 2012 2:20:48 AM

Intel CPUs has a cold bug which means it doesnt post at around -130'Celcius I think. I wouldn't go into the negative temps. But that's absurd...why would you want to put it in a freezer? You're not making anything last longer -_- Don't put it in a freezer unless you plan to do some hardcore stuff.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2012 2:21:55 AM

Yes, if you get it too cold for the ambient temperature you will form condensate, not to mention that the components themselves are going to be producing heat which will again, start to produce condensate on the hardware and that will short out components. Removable, cleanable filters on the outside to keep the inside of the case clean. As for internal temps, water cooling will help but a good air flow in a moderately cool room should be fine. Unless you're doing overclocking of components - then we're back to water cooling for best results.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2012 2:25:33 AM

That depends on how you seal and purge the case. The problem is that, if you cool the air in the case to colder than the room, you run a real risk of making it cold enough that moisture vapor in the air will start to condense out as liquid water drops. The exact temperature that this happens will be unpredictable because it depends on both the temperature you get and the Relative Humidity of the air in the room.

The only way to prevent that would be to seal the case completely and then purge it with some absolutely dry "air" (pure nitrogen gas from a cylinder?) that has no moisture content. Then you have to make sure no room air leaks in after that - ever! But this all means that there is NO air flow through your case to remove heat. Heat removal will have to occur in two simultaneous stages. First, the air in the case will have to circulate rapidly to remove heat from components into the air itself (this is the normal first stage). Then you will have to ensure that the air circulation flows over your cooling coils inside the case to remove the heat from the air, and that system then moves the heat (via the refrigeration loop) to the outside of the case and gets rid of it there.

Starting to sound complicated? There's a reason that computer cases do not come with refrigeration units.
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:48:54 AM

HEHE look up Flourinert, if your looking to go really extreme. Ohh the endless possibilities. I picked up this bug a few years ago. With a measley $5k investment you can build a computer case that runs at neg 50F. I toyed around with this some, if you like I can pm you a basic diagram of the system I wanted to build but ran short on funds. It is 100% enclosed copper so the evaporation should be minimized.
My only flourinert system included the lian li 1010, full copper pipes, using dual copper heatsinks I cooled the flourinert with about 1500W of doubled up peltiers + another 120W on the CPU. The other side ran water that went to 4 3x120MM radiators. End of story, flourinert eventually leaked (2ish weeks); and it ended up being a learning experience. Ohh and don't forget to make a bypass so you can run at normal temps and not waste power.
m
l
April 21, 2012 3:04:39 AM

On the refrigeration topic. Make it easy on yourself and watercool your comp and then lower the temps of those in a seperate area. Then you only need to seal the area where the comp is. If you watercool everything, and I mean everything ram/NB/SB/cpu/gpu/video ram/and even a water cool bag for the back side of the MB. You can then make a form fitting insulated case filled with inert gas and just have your radiators in the fridge, which now does not need to have an artificial environment.
m
l
April 21, 2012 3:14:02 AM

Other suggestion. Look into peltiers. Refrigerators are not the way to go unless you build your own system and you need some sort of certification to even mess around with the chemicals involved. Cool everything in your computer with peltiers in an environment with inert gas. You can achieve temps as low as -20F if you double up the peltiers one on top of the other. Watercool the peltier then have radiators on the outside, no refrigerator needed. Matter of fact a fridge would most likely make the temps higher.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 21, 2012 7:57:59 PM

Build an open topped case that can hold liquid with 2 ports for fluid transfer. Fill it with mineral oil. You can then pump the mineral oil thru a continuous cooling loop. Submerge you assembled motherboard in the mineral oil while leaving your PSU, hdd(s), CD/DVD drives and motherboard speaker on the outside but already connected to the motherboard. Cover the top with the other homemade portion containing all the the above mentioned components leaving an area for the cables/wires to come out. You can even add some pretty lights on the inside for looks. That will keep all the dust off of your parts.
m
l
April 22, 2012 2:22:45 AM

suteck said:
Build an open topped case that can hold liquid with 2 ports for fluid transfer. Fill it with mineral oil. You can then pump the mineral oil thru a continuous cooling loop. Submerge you assembled motherboard in the mineral oil while leaving your PSU, hdd(s), CD/DVD drives and motherboard speaker on the outside but already connected to the motherboard. Cover the top with the other homemade portion containing all the the above mentioned components leaving an area for the cables/wires to come out. You can even add some pretty lights on the inside for looks. That will keep all the dust off of your parts.

ok wow... that is the crazyest thing i have heard... can u tell me where i can find out more about it??
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 3:52:07 AM

My link section on my reply posting has disappeared, (all I get is quote, spoiler and view more), but you can copy and paste this url in your browser line and get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
April 22, 2012 4:16:23 AM

Best answer selected by bustillomoreno.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:17:10 AM

suteck said:
My link section on my reply posting has disappeared, (all I get is quote, spoiler and view more), but you can copy and paste this url in your browser line and get a good idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!! THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!!
THNX THNX THNX HTNX!!!!! IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2012 12:58:46 PM

Just send us pics when you're done so we can all be amazed.
m
l
!