Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD driver won't install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 12, 2012 9:08:28 PM

Hello,
I just replaced a Geforce 8600GT wih a Radeon HD 6770 from Asus

The driver won't install - keeps coming up with "fail" in the log. I've used the microsoft driver cleaner, CCLeaner and Driver stripper to remove all traces of nvidia from the registry, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

More about : radeon driver install

February 12, 2012 10:26:16 PM

Did you install the .NET Framework files from the CD? Those have to be installed before you can install the ATi driver and software.
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 9:47:37 AM

Many thanks for the replies. I didn't specifically install .NET framework 4 - but it didn't complain at any point. Windows is supposed to automatically update, on this PC.

The oval driver install window appeared when I inserted the CD (that might be an ASUS specific front-end) and I clicked on the driver button on that.

The rest of the software installed - such as CCC and the HDMI audio driver, it's just the video driver that fails.

I've installed .NET 4 now, and am currently updating it through the windows update website. There's a whole load of other stuff to download too (I never bothered to get Silverlight, for example). I'll report back when it's all done.

I might even grab a video of what I'm doing if that will help?
m
l
February 13, 2012 12:16:04 PM

Gorf12 said:
...I might even grab a video of what I'm doing if that will help?

OK here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5TOQhlI7Ck

It's about 5 minutes long despite the fact that I've speeded it up significantly, especially the middle bit. I think that the slow speed and flickering screen is a combination of default video driver, XP still running on "best appearance" settings, and Windows Media Encoder doing its thing; all combined to slow down the installation process. All MS updates applied, and .NET framework 4 installed.

Once you are happy that you don't want to watch several minutes of progress bars, jump to 5:20 to see the fail log
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:51:37 PM

Well it's a bit of a moot question, now. Whilst trying to boot into recovery console, my hard disk seems to have been trashed, so I can't even get into Windows.

Any suggestions as to what I can do are still welcome, but it looks like I'll need to be looking into other problems in the meantime.
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:43:29 AM

could not acces video protected with user name and password
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:39:12 PM

Sorry about that - fixed it now
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:06:30 PM

before the install of the 12.1 you got to uninstall the 11.1a from system .when you press the box for install choose the uninstall first that will remove the old driver from system then when tha is finish system will restart and you will be able to put the 12.1 in.(why your donload are not under my document in the dowload file
m
l
February 15, 2012 10:06:51 AM

scout_03 said:
before the install of the 12.1 you got to uninstall the 11.1a from system .when you press the box for install choose the uninstall first that will remove the old driver from system then when tha is finish system will restart and you will be able to put the 12.1 in.(why your donload are not under my document in the dowload file

There is no driver at all installed. 11.1 was downloaded, but even that wouldn't install.

I don't understand your last point - in brackets. Why does it matter where the install files are located? That's the default location offered by the self-extracting file I downloaded.
m
l
February 15, 2012 5:20:51 PM

means that you could select where the dowload files will go it easier to have them in my documents under dowload then you can follow exactly what you got,did you try to install the 12.1 driver for the hd 6770 now
m
l
February 17, 2012 2:49:40 PM

Well I just left it where it in its default extraction location. And let's face it, as soon as the driver is installed, these files get deleted. Far better to have a single ZIP sitting in "downloads" than all the extracted files sitting on the hard disk in arbitrary locations.

In the end, the driver did install, but it took a reinstallation of Windows. I suspect it was a registry issue. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but this was one that "got away".
m
l
!