About to pull the trigger!

me12345

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi.

I'm planning on buying the following system from ibuypower for $2.3k. Does anyone have any comments or recommendations in terms of changes I should make? I'll mostly be using this to play games such as skyrim, witchr 2, guild wars 2, diablo etc.

Thanks!

Available parts here: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_F875

Case
Rosewill Thor V2 Gaming Case Black

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820

Processor Cooling
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

Memory
16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 2GB - Single Card

Motherboard
[3-Way SLI] ASRock Extreme9 -- 5x PCI-E x16, 8x SATA 6Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0

Power Supply
850 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-850AX

Primary Hard Drive
120 GB Kingston HyperX SSD - Single Drive

Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System
None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

Advanced Build Options
1 x Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
Advanced Build Options
1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
Advanced Build Options
1 x Basic Pro Wiring
Advanced Build Options
1 x Advanced - Power Package (Individually Sleeved 24-pin ATX, 8-pin CPU, and SATA Drive Power Cabling)
Advanced Build Options
1 x Advanced - Video Package (Individually Sleeved 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E VGA Power Cabling)
Advanced Build Options
1 x iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation!

me12345

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for the response. But I'd really prefer to not build myself. Are there any changes you would make to the system I specced out, above?

from the above buld,only thing i can see is your motherboard.it is a bit more than what you need,select '[3-Way SLI] Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 -- 4x PCI-E x16, 6x SATA 6Gb/s" it is a quality board with all the required features and will also save you some money.
16gb isn't required for gaming or other daily works.8gb is enough but if you want to keep 16gb then keep.other things are great.

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Hellfire is right you could build a 2 x 680 gpu build in that money. its not hard to build by your self infact its easy , fun and a lot to learn. it will also boost your confidence. and we are here to help and can give you a complete walkthrough.

In that kind of budget you could get

intel i5 3770k
asrock sabertooth z77
Corsair dominator gt 2x 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Corsair h100 cpu cooler
2 x evga gtx 680 superclocked 2gb
Seasonic x-850 850w 80+ gold fully modular powersupply
seagate baracuda 3Tb 7200rpm hdd
crucial m4 128gb ssd
lg 12x blueray burner
Corsair carbide 600T white
windows 7 home premium or professional

and would still have spare money to spend.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I would have to agree about building your own being better/cheaper, but I also see the need for the boutique vendors like iBuypower and Cyberpower (although I've heard some bad stories about people getting hosed by these two companies). In fact I just bought a pre-built myself recently from HP (the Phoenix with a i7 2600), even though I know how to build my own (I've built two gaming rigs from scratch). I just dont have time anymore to mess with it now that Ive got two kids and a full-time job. 5 years ago- I would have argued about building yourself all day long, but situations change and are different for different people. I see that now.

The only thing I would say - is why are you going with a i7 3820? I would only use this proc. if I was planning on upgrading to a i7 3930 or 3960x in the near future. Your options are pretty limited with that socket, at least for now. And the few options you have are very expensive!

I would stick with LGA 1155 and a i7 3770k, or even a i7 2600k/2700k Whichever one I could get cheaper at the time. They're all pretty close performance wise.

And these three CPUs I just mentioned will easiiy keep pace with the i7 3820.

And $2000+ does seem kind of pricey for a rig like that. My rig is pretty sweet and I paid about a grand (ok I cheated a little because got a deal through my work and I added my own graphics card - an overclocked 6950 2GB which I already had). But you might want to look around at other vendors too. Have you checked Velocity Micro- Origin - Digital Storm - Maingear - I would buy from any of those or even HP (Phoenix) or Dell (Alienware) before I bought an iBuypower/Cyberpower rig.

Its your money- but I hate to see someone get screwed.