Sign in with
Your question

Help unlocking 2nd core in AMD Sempron 145

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 5:55:21 AM

I recently bought an AMD Sempron 145 @ 2.8GHz along with an Asrock motherboard that supports UCC and ACC or whatever, (I'm new to unlocking lol) and 4 GB of DDR3 ram @ 1333Mhz.

I put everything together, installed a fresh, clean copy of windows 7, and booted it up. Installed all my drivers and made sure everything was okay (I have a GT520) then I decided it was time to unlock the 2nd core on my new processor. I go into bios, and enable toe option 'Asrock UCC' or whatever it is, and boot up.

It boots up no problem, no errors, etc :bounce:  , untill windows loads up, things like explorer and programs get glitchy :o  , but it's weird because it loads up fine. Hm. I was thinking about the voltage BUT I'm not sure what to change or how much to change it. If anyone here could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it's a bad core... I can go into the bios after it restarts after unlocking it and it recognizes it as an Athlon X2 or whatever. I can also open up task manager before the glitches begin to happen and it shows both cores working.

Full specs:
Mobo: Asrock N68 VS3 FX
CPU: AMD Sempron 145 @ 2.8 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT520 1GB
Power Supply: 500w
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
August 3, 2012 6:55:31 AM

The reason why the 2nd core has been disabled is because it failed to pass whatever stress test AMD uses to determine whether a core is bad or not. The 2nd core in Semprons might only have minor defects or it might have major defects. If AMD could sell that CPU with both cores activated, then they would so that they can charge a higher price.

It looks like 2nd core of your Sempron has major defects which is why you are running into issues. You can either keep it, or request an RMA from whichever online store you bought it from. Be aware that there is typically a 15% restocking fee on RMAs. You can either order another Sempron and take your chances, or you can order an AMD CPU which has two working cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 7:12:09 AM

jaguarskx said:
The reason why the 2nd core has been disabled is because it failed to pass whatever stress test AMD uses to determine whether a core is bad or not. The 2nd core in Semprons might only have minor defects or it might have major defects. If AMD could sell that CPU with both cores activated, then they would so that they can charge a higher price.

It looks like 2nd core of your Sempron has major defects which is why you are running into issues. You can either keep it, or request an RMA from whichever online store you bought it from. Be aware that there is typically a 15% restocking fee on RMAs. You can either order another Sempron and take your chances, or you can order an AMD CPU which has two working cores.

I some what Disagree with you, AMD will disable the 2nd core because of defects, But its been already proven that they disable the 2nd core or so because of marketing. Never know, might be nothing wrong with it, might just be the board failing to unlock, Had this happen with a Phenom II x2 555 wont unlock on an ASRock, but would unlock on an ASUS and OC to 4ghz with all 4 cores. Luck of the draw really.
m
l
Related resources
a c 169 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 3, 2012 7:14:02 AM

Most of the boot process is done with a single core. As Jaguarskx said, most processors with locked cores have those cores locked because they are faulty. Some are locked to meet demand for lower priced components but it's a complete toss up as to whether it will be faulty or not. You get what you pay for
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 3, 2012 9:20:59 AM

Don't forget one other thing. Have you changed the CPU driver? If you installed windows with only one core, then you are using the uni core CPU driver. Go into the device manager and change it to the multi core driver. I'd check this before writing off the second core.
m
l
August 3, 2012 3:52:55 PM

4745454b said:
Don't forget one other thing. Have you changed the CPU driver? If you installed windows with only one core, then you are using the uni core CPU driver. Go into the device manager and change it to the multi core driver. I'd check this before writing off the second core.

No I haven't, and I don't even know how to. I read on another forum about a guy that had the same problem until he increased his voltage, but I don't know what to increase in the BIOS or how much to increase it.
m
l
August 3, 2012 6:34:19 PM

I still need help :c
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 7:08:03 PM

To be honest, if you have tried adding a tab bit more volts and tried to unlock and it failed, thats really the only thing you can do, maybe a bios update might solve the problem, but update the bios at your own risk.

Its vary simple on an ASRock board so. But if it wont unlock then I think you might just be outta luck.

But you can try to turn off "spread spectrum" and "cool n quite" might not help, but you never know.
m
l
a c 169 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2012 1:37:41 AM

dylanjlr said:
I still need help :c

You bought a single core processor and it worked as a single core processor. This is what you paid for and this is what you got. Unlocking cores is not guaranteed because those cores may have been locked for a reason. If you want a dual or quad core processor then you should go and buy one
m
l
August 4, 2012 2:02:08 PM

I have not tried adding voltage c:
m
l
!