Sign in with
Your question

HD 6670 Radeon Graphics with Active Display - Still not able to see 3 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2012 1:18:03 AM

Hello,

I have a ASUS Radeon Graphics HD 6670 Graphics Card that I just installed on a new computer. Additionally, I purchased an Accell UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI-D Single Adapter (Assume this is active since it has the "TI Eyefinity Multi-Display Validated" sticker. I can see any two monitors ... the Catalyst Software does not allow me to extend my desktop to the third monitor. It detects the monitor, just doesn't let me do anything. Everything I've read in the discussion threads indicates all you need is to make sure you have an Active Display Port adapter ... which I do. Is there anything else I need to do? My cable setup for the three monitors is 1-HDMI Cable, 2-Display Port to DVI-D Sinvle Link Adapter (Active), 3-VGA from monitor to VGA/DVI converter. Any ideas? Appreciate any help
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2012 2:06:35 AM

i belive the problem here is that your going from displayport to dvi-d (-d means digital only) from there your going to analog vga adapters.
your gonna need a dvi-i connnector to do this.
so return your display port adapters and get one that goes from dp to dvi-i
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 4:22:36 AM

farrengottu said:
i belive the problem here is that your going from displayport to dvi-d (-d means digital only) from there your going to analog vga adapters.
your gonna need a dvi-i connnector to do this.
so return your display port adapters and get one that goes from dp to dvi-i

The Display Port Adapter has the Display Port on one end and a DTI Female Plug on the other end. So, I'm connecting the Monitor with a DVI-to-DVI connection ... isn't DVI a digital connection?

The VGA connection isn't going into the Display Port ... it goes to the from VGA-to-DVI at Monitor and DVI into Card.

I'm willing to try ... just not sure it will work. I do really appreciate the advice and think it is a problem with my cables/setup ... tried to setup with two machines (6670 and 67xx Radeon Cards) with same result ... so, it must be the cables.

What do you think?
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:50:25 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
I have recently written a GUIDE TO EYEFINITY.

check it out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/343164-33-eyefinity-setup-guide

I did check it out ... didn't really help me in this case. My issue is not having the ability to see the 3rd monitor, even though it looks like it should be pretty simplistic from what I can see on the web ...

Thinking it's a problem with my cables, here's what I have (each cable has [] ... so, [DVI-D -> DVI-D] is a Digital DVI cable ...

(Port #1 - DVI-I) -> [DVI-D -> DVI-D] -> Monitor

(Port #2 - DisplayPort) -> [DisplayPort -> DVI-D-Active] -> [DVI-D - > DVI-D] -> Monitor

(Port #3 - HDMI) -> [HDMI -> HDMI] -> Monitor
m
l
February 13, 2012 5:11:48 PM

Figured out my problem. Even though the guy at Frye's told me the Dongle DisplayPort would work with 3-monitors ... turns out they sold me a "Passive" Adapter. The Adapter must be "Active". Exchanged for "Active" Display Port Adapter and everything works just fine now ... the 3-monitors popped-up immediately and I was able to extend my desktop easily using the Catalyst Control Center software from ATI (center being the main monitor and can scroll to left or right) ...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2012 5:27:36 PM

nice. i guess i did forget to ask if the adaptor actually had the word active on it. as they all do.
m
l
!