Sign in with
Your question

Cpu/fan noise.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 7:27:31 AM

Hi, I run a lot of programs that are very cpu dependant.
any time i run one of these programs or even watch a movie on netflix through firefox my Pc sounds like its going to take off. Here are temps from cpuid while one of the programs is running.

From looking at google i dont think the temps are that bad? (I'm not overclocked btw)

I am using a stock cooler, if you think this is the only issue can you recomend a reasonable priced alt? I don't mind a little noise but this is just silly.

More about : cpu fan noise

August 3, 2012 7:43:44 AM

Definitely the stock cooler is your culprit as the temps are ok but fan speed is high.

Lots of peeps here like the Hyper 212 from coolermaster

The link is to Coolermaster but I'm sure you can find one at your preferred re/e-tailer.

Enjoy the quiet.

Q

August 3, 2012 7:45:03 AM

Yea the picture shows your CPU fan speeds up a lot to control heat. The comment above is right just get a Hyper 212 for just over $20 the heatsink is much better than stock and so is the fan so it should help with cooling and noise a lot.
Related resources
a c 193 à CPUs
August 3, 2012 10:08:17 AM

two thing too..if it a min case or you have in jammed under your feet in a computer desk..you could have airflow issues. if it a min case...try leaving the side case door off and see if that helps or add a case fan. if it jammed under a desk try making sure there a lot of air getting to the pc or try moving it so there airflow around the pc.
August 3, 2012 10:21:24 AM

smorizio said:
two thing too..if it a min case or you have in jammed under your feet in a computer desk..you could have airflow issues. if it a min case...try leaving the side case door off and see if that helps or add a case fan. if it jammed under a desk try making sure there a lot of air getting to the pc or try moving it so there airflow around the pc.

My bro has a older PC it runs cool and has 2 fans and good ventilation but it gets VERY loud under load even on youtube ot gets loud. the OP temps seem fine it's probably a similar problem where the old stock fan needs to go and if your going to buy a fan for like $10 might as well spend $20 and get a good fan along with heatsink like the evo 212 plus to massively improve noise and cooling imo.
August 3, 2012 12:16:14 PM

Another possibility is that heatsinks (especially stock ones) easily get clogged with dust preventing the fan from doing its job of pushing air between the heatsink's fins.

When you open the case look down onto the HSF and see if there is any dust build up between the fan and heatsink. If there is then you can clean this off by removing the HeatSinkFan assembly from the motherboard and separating the fan from it to get access to the fins for cleaning. Then re-assemble and replace the HSF, remembering to use fresh thermal grease after cleaning off all residue of the old grease from both the heatsink and the CPU.

If this is your scenario you could end up not needing to buy a replacement HFS, but then any aftermarket HSF is going to be quieter than any new clean stock unit.

Q
August 3, 2012 2:24:14 PM

thanks the replys guys, i went ahead and ordered it for delivery tomorrow. hopefully it wont be to hard to install? I hope my case has enough room or ill be sawing out a hole in the case so it does :) 
August 3, 2012 9:13:05 PM

netboom said:
thanks the replys guys, i went ahead and ordered it for delivery tomorrow. hopefully it wont be to hard to install? I hope my case has enough room or ill be sawing out a hole in the case so it does :) 

It will be a bit of a challenge just read some guides or watch some videos. If it doesn't fit you could always just replace the CPU fan and keep the stock heatsink.
August 4, 2012 7:09:29 AM

so its coming at 10:15 today. just got the old heatsink/fan off.. so all i can see now is the cpu, there is some dried thermal paste on it but patchy in places. will i need to remove the CPU to clean it and add more? does the new one come with any?
a c 109 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 7:15:07 AM

Yes you have to remove the old paste or the new HS won't do any good.
You don't have to but you can if you feel comfortable doing so....
Yes it should come with thermal paste and you have to apply it.
You can put a pea size (or a bit smaller sized) of thermal paste on the CPU and let the heatsink spread it or spread it your self.
August 4, 2012 7:23:54 AM

netboom said:
so its coming at 10:15 today. just got the old heatsink/fan off.. so all i can see now is the cpu, there is some dried thermal paste on it but patchy in places. will i need to remove the CPU to clean it and add more? does the new one come with any?

You do not need to remove the CPU to remove/add thermal paste. If you have rubbing alcohol you can put a bit on a cloth (not soak it in alcohol just a little bit) then wipe of the old thermal paste.

When you get the heatsink you can try mounting it so you understand how the mounting works and to assure it will go on smoothly for when the thermal paste is already applied. (i think it comes with the paste but i cannot remember i am asking someone right now)

I Highly suggest watching multiple videos on youtube on how to apply the thermal paste i remember i watched a quick video the first time i did it and kind of made a mess of things and wasted thermal paste. It's better to know how to do it and get it done properly the first time and be confident it was done properly.
August 4, 2012 11:14:52 AM

Ok, so i thought i installed everything as described... took all the old stuff off. unscrewd the MB installed back plate. removed the cpu. cleaned off the old paste. put it back, applied new. screwed it down and turned it on..

Only it didnt boot, fan comes on fine but im not even getting any HD activity.

I pulled the cpu cleaned it put it back and just pulled the leaver down to secure. So i'm hoping i havent damaged anything? all wire back where i took them from. any ideas?

a c 193 à CPUs
August 4, 2012 2:57:03 PM

net was there a metal or plastic back plate with the new heat sink. if it was metal...there should have been a piece of two sided tape to make sure that the back plate does not short out the mb. also if you lifted the mb up check that you put all the screws back in right and that the mb is not grounding out. also check that you have all the power plugs in the 24 pin and 4/8 pin atx power. also check the case header pins if you moved them..i seen people put the hard drive led on the reset pins.
August 4, 2012 6:55:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. The back plate was metal, but it had like rubber over the connecting ends so figured it would be ok. there was however a little black square which had a stick back.. didnt see anywhere in the videos where it mentioned this so left it on my desk.. does it sound like my mobo? im not even getting a beep. I can hear the HD's working however. you when you start something you wish you hadnt? :( 
August 5, 2012 5:52:53 AM

For some reason i stopped getting e-mailed when something new was posted on this thread. What is the update on your PC atm is it still not starting up?
August 5, 2012 7:08:53 AM

yeah same as my last post. I did try my old processor but its exactly the same.

could be a few issues i caused. 1 I alway thoughs as long as static was concerned if im holding the box i would be ok. Looking through some guides yesterday i saw that i need the power supply in.. could be in issue.

Also, i didnt really expect the heatsink to slide around so much when i was fixing it down. and did notice a little bit of thermal paste on the mb, which i could off with some cleaner(its all gone now). And also a verry small amount had gone to the very edge of the processor which I also removed.

I've checked all the standoffs. they are back were i took them from. i took off the heat sink for now so i can see the processor(just so i can get to anything i need to). I'm assuming it will still try to boot, i have plugged in the fan though just incase the MB checked for it.

all cables seem secure..
August 5, 2012 7:44:04 AM

netboom said:

i took off the heat sink for now so i can see the processor(just so i can get to anything i need to). I'm assuming it will still try to boot, i have plugged in the fan though just incase the MB checked for it.

Please tell me you didn't try to turn on the machine without the HSF fitted? If you did you could easily have fried the processor, even with modern thermal throttling.

Q
August 5, 2012 7:50:29 AM

Well I took it off after it wouldnt boot and its been doing the same since i took it off. I've never left it running or anything, as soon as i saw it wasnt booting i turned it off. I really need a PC to work on next week. is it best for me to get something like this?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS...

and then just swap over my graphics/HD's?

i know it would be cheaper for me to build this myself but after the hastle of just fitting the heatsink in this one i think id rather get it mostly built...
August 5, 2012 8:31:19 AM

*Cringe* but only because I dislike bare-bones systems.

If you treat it purely as a limp-to-work stop-gap then sure, go ahead.

I know new computers cost big money, but building your own always gets you exactly what you need without all the fluff you don't. Please don't be put off by one bad experience. I started 30 years ago with a whole string of them but that's what experience is.

Q

August 5, 2012 9:25:25 AM

I'm really surprised things went so horribly wrong with just a heatsink replacement.....
=\
August 5, 2012 9:53:05 AM

netboom said:
Well I took it off after it wouldnt boot and its been doing the same since i took it off. I've never left it running or anything, as soon as i saw it wasnt booting i turned it off. I really need a PC to work on next week. is it best for me to get something like this?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS...

and then just swap over my graphics/HD's?

i know it would be cheaper for me to build this myself but after the hastle of just fitting the heatsink in this one i think id rather get it mostly built...

That barebones kit you linked actually seems like a decent deal.
August 5, 2012 10:12:19 AM

"I'm really surprised things went so horribly wrong with just a heatsink replacement..... =\"

yeah i mean, i wasnt so sure about removing the MB and such but i thought it all went fine. I guess if I was to start from scratch again i should just get one of those anti static wrist bands... its the only thing I can think of that might have gone wrong?

I might do a little research latter into how much it would cost me to build a new system from scratch.

I guess I only really need the case/MB/PS and hope my processor still works ok.. Assuming i can reuse my old memory? Id ideally like to get up to 8GB
a c 109 à CPUs
August 5, 2012 10:14:39 AM

You can try RMA the mobo...
August 5, 2012 10:24:54 AM

RMA? newbie here :) 
August 5, 2012 10:28:42 AM

netboom said:
RMA? newbie here :) 

It means to return the product to the manufacturer if it's broken or it it breaks and have them fix/replace it
(i don't remember exactly what it stands for)
a c 109 à CPUs
August 5, 2012 11:04:56 AM

Stands for return merchandise authorization...
Not sure if its aleady mentioned but what manufacturer is your mobo.
a c 193 à CPUs
August 5, 2012 4:18:54 PM

check that you have the cmos jumper in the right place...also check that the case header cables are on right. also a pc wont boot if you forgot to plug in both the 24 pin atx cablke and the 4/8 pin power plug by the cpu. one other thing to check is see if you have all the data cables on right.all it take is bending a pin on a sata drive to cause a short and no post.
!