Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair 800D Case + Asus Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard problem

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2012 6:43:56 AM

I'm currently putting together my new system and I'm having a problem with the motherboard and case. Case is a Corsair 800D and the motherboard is the Asus Rampage IV Extreme. Here's the problem, I can't get the motherboard to properly attach to the mounting points on the case.

If I use the copper stand off screws that came with the case, the motherboard's I/O ports do not properly fit into the I/O shield.

If I don't use the copper stand off screws, I attach the motherboard directly to the case and the I/O ports fit the I/O shield.

Suggestions? Should I use fewer copper stand off screws? If I don't use them next the I/O shield, I can sort of get the motherboard's I/O ports to fir the shield. Is it wise to mount the motherboard directly to the case? Any help would be appreciated.
April 21, 2012 6:49:58 AM

Do not power on the system if your motherboard is not on the standoffs. If you don't use them you'll short out the motherboard and will effectively killed it.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 6:57:33 AM

some cases dont use standoffs . They are pressed in to the motherboard tray .

I dont have any experience with the corsair 800 though so cant be more helpful than to suggest you........
Try the manual?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 7:48:45 AM

I'm pretty sure my 800D + ASUS R4E use's standoff's but I can't remember from when i built it
April 21, 2012 8:03:37 AM

Currently, the motherboard is attached to the case only where I have used standoffs. I did not use the two standoff points that are closest to the I/O shield, and the I/O ports do fit into the IO/shield without a problem. I hope this works when I power it on. I don't intend to power anything on until I'm ready to install the OS which will be next week. Any suggestions/advice before then will be appreciated.
April 21, 2012 11:21:04 AM

superslacker said:
Currently, the motherboard is attached to the case only where I have used standoffs. I did not use the two standoff points that are closest to the I/O shield, and the I/O ports do fit into the IO/shield without a problem. I hope this works when I power it on. I don't intend to power anything on until I'm ready to install the OS which will be next week. Any suggestions/advice before then will be appreciated.

Check your manual for which standoffs you are suppose to use. Not all the holes available on the motherboard backplate are used by different types of motherboards; M-ATX, ATX, etc. If you did use the correct number of standoffs and in the right places I don't have a clue what could be wrong, but do know that you shouldn't power the system while you have it seated badly.

Best solution

April 21, 2012 11:48:44 AM

The standoffs are for all mb,s that get in the case. Im building a 800d with a asus workstation board atm and all line up fine.So yes use them and sometimes the sheild is a tight fit but should still go. New video comming on this 800d with ws I7 3930 680 sli ssd raid and full custom loop cooling vid and cpu on youtube soon check me out robustus64 for 3 other watercooled computer builds on youtube as well..
April 21, 2012 1:12:45 PM

Best answer selected by superslacker.
!