Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply enough?

Last response: in Components
August 3, 2012 7:51:29 AM

Good Morning all,

I have just completed a rebuild of my computer where I have upgraded from a Q6600 to a i5 3570K.

The old build consisted of:

Modular Antec True Power 550W
Intel Q6600 @2.4
6GB 800mhz RAM
1x 500 GB HDD
560ti GTX
Genertic CD drive
X48 Gigabyte motherboard

The New build:

Modular Antec True Power 550W
Intel I5- 3570k
8GB 1600mhz RAM
1x 500 GB HDD
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 (22NM processor ready)

The computer registers the standard single beep when turned on, however the machine starts to loop.

I have gone back to basics adding each component one by one however they all register as ok.

Any help on the matter would be great.

Kind regards

Jack

I have

More about : power supply

August 3, 2012 8:01:17 AM

You didnt list it in the New Build list but I'm assuming you included the 560ti. That said, the 550w PSU is plenty as nVidia recommend 500w for that card and your PSU is a good one. However, there is just a possibility that it has been damaged during the rebuild.

Now tell us a little more about 'machine starts to loop' - do you mean keeps rebooting or something else?

Q
August 3, 2012 8:13:20 AM

Morning Flying-Q,

Please excuse the mistake, the new build does include the 560ti

The machine reboots after about 20 seconds of holding power. The initial boot screen (if it's called that?) where you can choose BIOS, Boot options ect does show on screen every reboot.

Jack
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 8:43:56 AM

^splash screen... does it restart loading windows or somthing? because you have to re install if you upgraded your motherboard
August 3, 2012 8:48:03 AM

Thank you for the terminolgy :D . The computer restarts whilst on the splash screen.

Jack
August 3, 2012 8:48:13 AM

Thank you for the terminolgy :D . The computer restarts whilst on the splash screen.

Jack
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 8:51:27 AM

try clearing the CMOS by removing this cap for about 30 seconds or so, with the power off

though it may be a different colour, or slightly different shape
August 3, 2012 8:53:23 AM

When I finish work I will try clearing the CMOS and post the result.

Many thanks

Jack
August 3, 2012 12:40:04 PM

As you did a rebuild did you reformat the hard drive or does it still have the OS on it from the original build?

Have you booted the machine with a windows installation disc in the drive and BIOS set to boot from optical?

Can you even get into the BIOS setup?

Q
August 3, 2012 1:12:18 PM

It has the OS from the original build, none of my previous builds had an issue with switching HDDs from motherboard to motherboard though.

I can't even get into the BIOS, I have been unable to attempt booting from Disc because of this.

Jack
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 1:37:53 PM

The i5 build should use less power than your old Q6600 one but the z68 board might be more sensitive to power quality. If you have a different known-good PSU on hand, I would try swapping for testing.
August 3, 2012 1:49:21 PM

Hi Invalid,

I am going to try the CMOS reset when I get back from work, if that doesn't have any effect I'm going to pick up a 700watt PSU which will provide a good alternate PSU
a b ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 2:07:57 PM

Jacsav said:
if that doesn't have any effect I'm going to pick up a 700watt PSU which will provide a good alternate PSU

Your system should use around 300W peak so your PSU problem (assuming the PSU is at fault) would be quality, not quantity.

I'm guessing your Antec PSU is 5+ years old, which would be around the time Antec's OEMs were (still) using Fuhjyuu or similar low-quality caps. In that case, your PSU is overdue for a re-capping after which it would be fine for many more years.
August 3, 2012 2:09:34 PM

I replaced from my old PSU with the Antec True Power only 10 months ago.
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 2:15:10 PM

Jacsav said:

Intel I5- 3570k
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 (22NM processor ready)

After reading thru a bunch of Newegg reviews I'm more inclined to believe it's the motherboard than the power supply
You might want to read thru them ( lots of boot loops involved ) and maybe get in touch with Gigabyte support prior to replacing a good quality psu for one with more wattage that you don't need
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 3, 2012 5:26:06 PM

Hi All,

I am getting the motherboard sent back for testing.

I fitted my old components back into the computer and now they don't hold power at all.

When I turn on the computer it powers for an instant then reboots.

I have checked all the connections, removed items one by one ect ect and nothing is making a difference in this case.

Regards

Jack
August 3, 2012 9:33:22 PM

It sounds more and more like my first comment that the PSU has suffered during the rebuild was on target. If true, note the comments above about quality v quantity for a replacement.

Q
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 3, 2012 10:02:51 PM

Flying-Q said:
It sounds more and more like my first comment that the PSU has suffered during the rebuild was on target. If true, note the comments above about quality v quantity for a replacement.

Q

After reading this
Jacsav said:

I fitted my old components back into the computer and now they don't hold power at all.

When I turn on the computer it powers for an instant then reboots.

I think I'd have to agree
It's shocking to me because mine have been swapped around in several systems without issue
!