Recycling parts : "will the PSU be enough?" x2

Llamalland

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hi, Tom's Hardware folk.

I'm doing some planning. Next year I intend to make a new system while recycling certain parts from my current system, and while asking for specific advice about parts is kinda silly since they will be next years parts, I do have a few more general questions:

Will I be able to recycle my super power 470W PSU for my new system? It will be a relatively inexpensive system, and therefore theoretically having less power drain. It would probably be with the next-years Haswell CPUs, would start off with my current rig's GT430 GPU and probably upgrade to something around the $120 mark, would be overclocked but not particularly hard, would probably have my current Western Digital 1TB HDD and add in a SSD. Any other information I can give that might help with a guess? The PSU has never had any issues.

The other thing is that after I've made that new rig, I plan to take what's left from my current comp and what I can salvage from another older one I had lying around and turn it into an at least serviceable machine to donate to the aid organisation I volunteer for. Would combine the Seagate 20.4 GB HDD, Codegen 300W PSU and Creative 8x DVD player from my old computer with the MSI RS482M4-ILD, opteron 180 and 2GB RAM (can find out what type if really needed) in my current system, using the (quite decent for office work) onboard video controller. My question is once again whether the PSU is ok for that. Wouldn't be overclocked at all, since it's just for office work.

If both are yes, woo! Otherwise, I guess I'll just get a new PSU for the new system, and the 470W would certainly be enough for the old one, since it's ok for the current one and I'd be taking the GPU away. But I guess this is good to know.

TRENDING THREADS