Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card to Vizio HDMI Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2012 2:49:29 AM

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my HDMI connection from my Radeon HD 6870 to my Vizio 22" television. I'm using it as a second monitor, and the television (not the computer) randomly freezes. This post by tallt66 perfectly describes the issue:

Quote:
Hello,

I have searched for hours on this forum and in other places and cannot seem to find anybody else with the same issue that I am having, so I hope someone with more knowledge than I can help me here.

I have a Vizio 22" HDTV with HDMI and a PC with a generic ATI 5770 video card. I connected the two using VGA and it works okay, but the picture quality was wrought with shadows and dull colors, so I wanted to upgrade and use the HDMI connection.

Upon initial connection using HDMI, the picture looks stunning, no complaints. Then, after a few minutes, no matter what I am doing on the PC, the TV picture (not the PC) freezes and then a crazy "light show" begins. It starts at the top of the screen and cascades down the screen until the entire screen is filled with flashing and changing pixels of every color. The TV will not respond to any commands. The only remedy is to press the power button on the TV, and after a delay it will power off. When powered back on it works fine for a few minutes and then it eventually freezes again.

The freeze occurs at various time intervals. Usually after just a few minutes, sometimes it takes hours before it happens. It seems random.

I tried a different HDMI cable, same result.

I connected the Vizio to other HDMI sources (DVD player, Digital cam dock) and it never does the freeze, so the HDMI port isn't defective.

To test the video card, I connected the PC to my 42" Hitachi LCD HDTV with HDMI and it never causes any freezing issues.

It would appear it's just a specific issue between this particular Vizio TV and the 5770 video card.

I have the latest ATI drivers installed and I couldn't find any specific Vizio drivers for the TV.

My best guess is something causes the data stream from the PC to the TV to loose it's "handshake" and it just starts producing garbage and locks up the processor in the TV, but that's just a guess because my understanding of HDMI is pretty basic.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I hate to go back to using VGA, but if I can't figure this out I may not have a choice.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Tall Tom

I didn't want to bump his post, so I figured I would make a new thread. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I can use the VGA input on the TV, but the colors aren't as good and the image isn't as sharp, and I've managed to nearly match the colors on my primary monitor using the HDMI input. I'm not using sound over HDMI either, I have a separate speaker system I use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best solution

February 15, 2012 9:43:15 PM

Well, I appear to have fixed the issue. I haven't had issues with the Vizio TV freezing in about three days. For anyone else who has this issue, this is what I did:

I went into the settings on the TV and turned off a couple things. First, since I have actual speakers hooked up to my computer, I'm not using the TV speakers, so under Audio I turned off Digital Audio Output and the TV Speaker. Next, I went into Feature, and into Advanced Video Menu from there, and turned off Noise Reduction (even with it on high I see no difference in picture quality), I turned off 3D Y/C (again no difference in picture quality), and I turned on Dynamic Contrast (I don't think this is necessary, it just looks better to my eyes and lets me match the colors on my other monitor better).

I believe the reason the TV was locking up was that the video processor in the TV was being overloaded, and so by going in and turning off all the features that are supposed to make the picture 'look better', I fixed the issue. There also used to be a tiny bit of mouse lag that was fixed by turning off these settings.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 15, 2012 9:46:56 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 15, 2012 9:46:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!