Sign in with
Your question

Slower gaming performance..

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
January 22, 2013 6:53:09 PM

I'm directing this to people who have low-mid end GPUs (4-6)40s. [e.g. GT430]. I was thinking this belongs in the GPU section, but it's a Windows 8 issue, so I posted it here.

I have a GT 525M and since I bought this PC I've had a habit of switching to Windows Classic to get any bit of increase in FPS. I've never tried playing any games with Windows 7 and Aero on.

I now purchased Windows 8 and installed it on another partition of my HDD and the frame rate drops about 5-10 fps in any game. I assume it's because of all the new eye candy in Windows 8 and there's no Windows Classic style anymore. To get around this I've been booting into Windows 7 however I'd rather stay in Windows 8. Like I said above, I don't have a really good GPU and since it's in a laptop, there's no choice to upgrade. I was just wondering if anyone with the same issue managed to get around this.
January 23, 2013 1:10:34 AM

izy521 said:
I'm directing this to people who have low-mid end GPUs (4-6)40s. [e.g. GT430]. I was thinking this belongs in the GPU section, but it's a Windows 8 issue, so I posted it here.

I have a GT 525M and since I bought this PC I've had a habit of switching to Windows Classic to get any bit of increase in FPS. http://www.istartedsomething.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/win7classic.png I've never tried playing any games with Windows 7 and Aero on.

I now purchased Windows 8 and installed it on another partition of my HDD and the frame rate drops about 5-10 fps in any game. I assume it's because of all the new eye candy in Windows 8 and there's no Windows Classic style anymore. To get around this I've been booting into Windows 7 however I'd rather stay in Windows 8. Like I said above, I don't have a really good GPU and since it's in a laptop, there's no choice to upgrade. I was just wondering if anyone with the same issue managed to get around this.

I had something similar - I did a complete wipe and lost my OpenGL support. Anyway, official Windows 8 game support is low right now, but if you're willing to take a risk and install windows 7 drivers for your computer you might get away with it. I did this, and in 3D games went from an unplayable 1-10 FPS back up to 30 (I have an old laptop). Worth a shot.

Also I never want to go back to Vista :D  I do like the Windows 8 start menu, and apart from that, Windows 8 is pretty much Windows 7 with more preinstalled apps.

lux

EDIT: how could I possibly screw up a three letter signature?!
m
l
!