Can you help me with my fan configuration?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
http://oi47.tinypic.com/2gvv9lg.jpg
all fans are 120mm

I've got a few questions:
Would removing the PCI-e card covers help maximize airflow?
Should I keep the fans as they are or swap the front fan and move it to the top of the case so I have more negative airflow?
currently it's about 40cfm more positive airflow, but I think it gets pretty neutral since the front fan has an air filter, the bottom fan doesn't have too much air to suck from since the case is only a fw cm above the desk and the GPU exhausts some air too. So what should I do to maximize airflow? And is my cable management OK? I'm kind of a beginner at cable management, until now I just left the cables to dangle around the case lol.

temps are fine GPU is currently idling at 28 degrees celsius, cpu at 29-35 but when one of them heats up the other one heats up as well, gpu gets to almost 40 when idling while the CPU is being tested in Prime95, just wanna get the best possible airflow for this case now (antec one).

G

You`ll just have to move the fan(s) and see what happens. mismatched fans, turbulence, case design, are all factors

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
You`ll just have to move the fan(s) and see what happens. mismatched fans, turbulence, case design, are all factors
you think that exhaust 220cfm vs something like 160 intake will be better than what I have now? I'd like to test it but it's a pain in the ass I have to take the whole case apart again to move the fans around.

G

A quick test, unplug the bottom fan. Oh, and are these fans powered from mobo or molex?

G

I wander if your side fan is recycling air in your case due to your cooler style. Try unplugging side fan.

G

Based on pic, swap the front intake with top exhaust. Both exhaust fans at 110cfm and then proceed to unplug bottom/side or both.

Remove front cover to access front fan. Screws for top fan should be on the outside of the case. What exactly are you thinking of take apart to access these fans?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Based on pic, swap the front intake with top exhaust. Both exhaust fans at 110cfm and then proceed to unplug bottom/side or both.

Remove front cover to access front fan. Screws for top fan should be on the outside of the case. What exactly are you thinking of take apart to access these fans?
thanks for your help, I tried what you said and I managed to get about 5-8 less degrees on the CPU while prime95 and 1-2 lower degrees on the gpu while idling but the gpu is still about 72 in the 1080p test in furmark so I guess that means I hit my max for air cooling on the gpu with its current cooler.
But I left the side/bottom fans on since the temps don't go lower if I take them out so I left them on, they in fact reduce the gpu temp by a few degrees while idle.

G

I`m glad your seeing better temps. On the GPU, can you adjust fan speed from software controller? What gpu are you using right now? On mine, I can adjust fan curve, temp and rpm graph style. My 670 will load in low 50`s. I`ll run 1080p furmark just to see and report back.
The side/bottom fan on/off was an easy enough test - just to determine effectiveness. Is this computer noisy with fans? side/bottom fans running 12v w/molex.

G

Benchmark preset 1080p: Score 2355(39fps,60000ms) max gpu temp: 60C

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Benchmark preset 1080p: Score 2355(39fps,60000ms) max gpu temp: 60C
wow I have a weird ass card...
C523s.png

here there's no improvement from stock to 1100 but when I set it at 1200 it's almost a 50% difference.
900: 1.038v
1100: 1.070v
1200: 1.170v
but it looks like something happened in that test, did it again and at 1100mhz I get 1687 (28fps average) so it's ok but you can see the differences between temps (stock was done at the end so the gpu was already warm, in fact stock is always = with the lower overclock i did since the differences between voltages are minimal)

wish I could find something like this: http://e-minsk.com/data/big/gembird_sb-a_system_blower_big.jpg but one that can be placed at the back of the pc sucking air from inside the gpu I think that would be perfect

G

http://www.xoxide.com/arcticcooling-accelerohybridgraphicscard-liquidcoolingsystem.html
170 dollars for hybrid water cooler from Artic Cooling. tweaktown has a review up for it.
Somewhere I read were a guy(s) modified a corsair h60 or 70 to fit his card - looked easy enough. Would be alot cheaper too
I`ve been considering a water loop in mine. I`m using the H100 for cpu and really like it. New water blocks are available for the 670 and im sure the 7800 series too. The guys that are running water always seem happy with it.

Later