Do I have to stress test my CPU & RAM?

Ry4n

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hello guys,

I'm wondering as I'm about to build my PC, But the thing what is worrying me the most is, Do I have to stress test my CPU & RAM or is this for Overclocking only?

I won't be Overclocking my CPU at all just leaving it how it is so I can play games such as Minecraft & WoW etc.

CPU: Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155)
RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance

Any help much appreciated! :)

Once you get it built I would run prime95 and furmark, just for a little while not for hours on end or anything crazy, just long enough to make sure nothing crashes out and that your temps stabilize at safe levels, this helps to confirm that your CPU heatsink is making good contact and you will know your baseline temperatures for your system for the future, it will help tell you if something is awry like a heatsink being full of dust or something.

Ry4n

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Ah I see, Also where would I find the safe temperatures for CPU and other components? Would It be on the box or manufacturers website?

GPUs are safe up to about 100C, the lower the better, my new 7850 tops out in the low 60's, my 4850 would hit 75C.

For CPUs the max safe temp is listed on the manufacturer's website, generally up to the low 60s is fine. If you break 65C i would confirm your heatsink is on well.

Devastater6194

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Unless you've got ivy bridge :lol: :lol: :lol:

1) On a new Build I ALWAYS run memtest86 from a Bootable CD or a minimum of 4 Hours (longer i recommended). NORMALLY memory is OK at stock, BUT NOT 100 %
... A. You DO NOT want update MB BOS with defective memory as it ca "BRICK your MB.
... B. memory errors can cause all kind of problems during your windows installation
How does that old saying go - an once of prevention is worth a pound of Cure.

A few comments.
1) I have No problem running DDR3-1600 on a SB CPU (Infacyt I am). But it DOES void the warantee. And if CPU goes up the creek, you may be with-out a paddle dependig on the Intel RMA Rep you talk to. I have i5-2500K and while I have not bought, Intel does sell a OC warantee ($25 for i5-2500K). The following voids warrantee:
A) Vcore over 1.5 V
B) Ram Voltage over 1.575 V (mines set to 1.600 V)
C) And memory Freq over Specs (Spec for SB is DDR3-1333.
..... PS There is VERY little performance diff between DDR3-1333 and 1600 - ONLY way to see diff is in benchmarks.

On Temps.
My Thoughts the COOLer the better. Based on that I do NOT even take the Stock HSF out of the Box (must save if you ever RMA the CPU. The Intel Stock HSF is at the Bottom of the barrow. Yes, Even for NON-OC I would get a cheap $25 after market HSF.
Max temp for SB is is mid 90's before throttling takes affect to prevent damage. My self I like Under 65 C for max (ie gaming), and under 75C when ru7nning prime 95. Stock Intel HSF will often hit mid 80's runing prime 95 within 10->15 miutes. (To verify temps only need to run prime 95 for about 15 min. To verify stability min of 4 hours. And yes Prime 95 does better than memtest86 for detecting mem errors. I only use memtest during Build and if I change memory parameters (Prime 95 only runs under windows).