Your question

Looking to upgrade my current processor [AMD]

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 3:07:06 PM

Hi there, right now I have a AMD Phenom II 955 x4 and I am looking to upgrade it, I mainly use my computer for gaming and occasional video editing.

Right now I have this motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
And the list of products which I am buying are here (They may be a little overpriced but thats not a problem): http://www.vtechindustries.com.au/processors/amd/

More about : upgrade current processor amd

a c 139 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 3, 2012 3:11:57 PM

i think 1090BE / 1100 is enough for you if want upgrade ..
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 3, 2012 3:13:34 PM

What Phenom II? If its a C3 stepping, 955-980 model, theres really nothing to upgrade it to. 1100T/1090Ts are pretty much gone, Bulldozer sucks, and.. well thats about it.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 3:16:09 PM

Its a 955, to be honest I don't really see the point of upgrading it. Its a shame I don't have a motherboard that can work with intel processors.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 3, 2012 3:17:42 PM

There isn't a point, leave it alone. Overclock it if you want, and if you're still unhappy with it, make the transition to an Intel i5. i3 in terms of practical performance (different from benchmarkable) is sidegrade, not an upgrade btw.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 4, 2012 3:23:19 PM

Over clock the 955 to around 4ghz, You wont find a 1090T/1100T for a good price right now. The Bulldozer's sad to say is a fail of the year type thing, I always liked AMD but AMD let everyone down by saying its an Intel killer when it can't even pass the Phenom II x4 in most benches. I would with your 955 for now, and wait.

Also if you decide to keep the CPU stock for whatever reason, OC the CPU-NB to around 2600mhz or more, it will give a nice performance boost.
m
l
a c 639 à CPUs
a c 205 À AMD
August 5, 2012 2:23:10 AM

At this point in time I would stick with what you got.

The only CPUs that may be worth upgrading to are AMD's upcoming PileDriver CPUs. Not sure when they are coming out though, but they will probably be about 10% faster on average compared to the Phenom II / FX series.

Otherwise switch over to Intel Ivy Bridge CPU series which basically have on average about 30% more performance than Phenom II / FX.
m
l