Sign in with
Your question

High CPU Usage out of nowhere

Last response: in CPUs
August 3, 2012 4:04:44 PM

Hello, so this is what's happening, I have a HP g6 Laptop with an i3 380 CPU, 4GB RAM and 500GB HD. Out of nowhere, even if I'm just browsing the web or using itunes or whatever in doing in the laptop, all of a sudden the CPU usage goes to 100% and the computer starts to lag and gets very very slow, to the point that all I'm left to do is a shoutdown.

I thought it was the temperature, but I bought an Laptop cooler and it does not get that much hot outside, but I don't know if there is something wrong with the thermal paste or the CPU cooler or whatever.

Sorry about my English and thanks for all the help!

More about : high cpu usage

a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 4:14:37 PM

Open the the windows task manage (ctrl+alt+del) and check what process is using all of your CPU, then let us know what the process is called.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:58:12 PM

trapper said:
Open the the windows task manage (ctrl+alt+del) and check what process is using all of your CPU, then let us know what the process is called.

It even rises up more, up to 90% or more, only with steam open (not even playing) and downloading other stuff, some peaks up to 100% too.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 5:06:13 PM

If you haven't run a virus scan lately I'd strongly recommend you do one. perfmon.exe can sometimes be a virus, and though that is rare it's high CPU usage is weird. As for the trustedinstaller.exe you can try to disable windows automatic updates and instead set them to ask you if you want to install them or not. That should cut back that exe's CPU usage quite a bit. If it's just those 2 processes that are causing the most issues that should hopefully help.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:12:17 PM

Yeah, the thing is that I put the win update at porpuse running at the same time as Steam, that's why it showed up there, even if not, it's not normal it goes that high.

As for the virus, I just used the HP partition to make a new one, to "start over" and clean the laptop of any virus, I had Kaspersky before the new install and didn't find anything, so I think is not a virus as the laptop is almost as it came from the factory.

Even opening paint to save the image took a long time because of the lag of my laptop.. :/ 
m
l
!