Crossfire suddenly starts causing constant bluescreens

erithtotl

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
So I was going about my normal computing business today when I suffered a lockup, I rebooted, and discovered that when I tried to open any graphics intensive application (Even Firefox!) I got an immediate bluescreen with the ati driver as the culprit.

Much experimenting showed me that both videocards, by themselves, functioned fine. Only when I had them both running and enabled Crossfire X in CCC did I suffer the issues.

I reinstalled drivers, I even reloaded Windows 7 to no avail.

Catalyst 12.1 drivers

Dual ATI 6970s.

Mobo is an ASROCK Z68 (Fatality edition)

I have a very new, high end PSU (Enermax EGX1250EWT 1250 Watt that I got in September).

I've tried replacing the crossfire connector as well as running a different cable from the PSU (as it is modular).

I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this issue further. If both cards work on their own, why are they suddenly failing in crossfire? If it's a PSU problem, how would go about confirming that?

erithtotl

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

To add, the bluescreen shows the fault in atikmpag.sys.

Marc8201

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I have the very same issue as you have... no idea how to fix it, I noticed in CCC that the blue screens will only occur if I launch a full screen app while the 2nd card shows 0 activity, 0 clock speed and 0 power in Overdrive panel. It's like it is offline and ati crashs because it tries using it